• Register Today It's free!

Some fun info regarding top speed

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I was just messing around with a top speed calculator, and thought I'd share my findings.

Assuming we're using a stock A4LD, 225/70/15 tires, and a 4900 rpm redline, the theoretical top speeds for the popular rear end gears are:

3.08 = 172 mph

3.27 = 162 mph

3.55 = 149 mph

3.73 = 142 mph

4.10 = 129 mph

You can bump each of those a bit if your engine redlines higher...my manual says 4900, but Ive seen some go to 5500 before fuel cutoff..

Now, all the need to get there is one of these.
m-6007-c392rt.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try this:

Remove the stock speed governors.

Take your 2 ton Explorer with the aerodynamics of a Special-Ed Bus, At stock height, with 28.75" tires, pushed by 160hp......and see if you can go over 129.....with ANY gear ratio.

Ryan

Yeah I didnt want to do the equation to see how much power you'd need to do the 172mph that the 3.08 combo could get you, as Im not a rocket scientist, but I'm assuming at least 550 hp or so?

That being said 160 hp can take mine to at least 105 mph, according to my GPS. I wanted to go further to see if there was a speed limiter anywhere, but thought better of it, there wasnt too much left in it though.

i thought top speed on these things was governed at maximum velocity obtained before something falls off.... wouldnt think horse power or governers would enter the equation...

atleast not on mine :D

cant tell ya how fast, but i had her at the OD, on the gear indicator.

Bone stock (3.27s), mine has done 110 according to my GPS.

Cool piece of info Masterd, thanks for posting :)

Feels great :D

The Explorer's the most fun car I have ever driven. Hard to explain, but for example I'd feel better on an autocross track with the X than with my Camaro :)

I think part of it is that the X is a well balanced vehicle; you don't have more power than you can control and it has the right amount of weight in the right places. Whether I am going fast, powersliding in dirt/gravel, or hard cornering on dry asphalt, it doesn't let go unless I want it to. I feel really connected to it when driving, whereas most other vehicles I feel somewhat distant. I imagine if I had a true performance vehicle like a Cobra R or Ford GT or some Italian rides, the feeling might be similar. They're a little out of my price range though. With tuning I might be able to get some of that performance with my Camaro but I'd never have the reliability of the X.

ive had my 94 up to where the needle hits the bottom of the speedo and was only runnin about 3500 rms in 5th gear but i got the m5od tranny too

Thats where the 3.08's shine...assuming my A4LD has all the gears working :rolleyes:, with the speedo buried, it used to only turn 3,000 rpms. Now that she lost 4th gear though, with the speedo buried it likes to run at about 4500 rpms.

Back