• Register Today It's free!

Some General Questions

broncobilly1989

Reaction score
City, State
Santee, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'89 Bronco II
I'm new to the Bronco II world. I'm new to the 4x4 world too for that matter. I have a couple of questions...

My 1989 Bronco II would have what for running gear, Dana 28 or 35?

I'm positive that the thing is stock.

I'm looking at the James Duff 6" lift for it. I'm going to go with General Grabber 33x12.5x15's for tires. For fender rubbing I am looking at the Prerunner style fiberglass from Mcniell offroad.

What should I use for lockers?

Again I'm new to this world, spent most of my time in the atv/dirtbike world.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most come with Dana 28 and a 7.5 rear and you will want to change out. If u do have a D25 you will want to get rid of that quick if you are gonna run 33's and up
A D35 is a some what easy swap and cheap, Just bolts right uo. I had to get my Drive Shaft shortened 1.5"
you can find a 8.8 and D35 under any explorer from 91-94 fer sure
If you do swap a 8.8 in from a ex it will or should have a limited Slip "locker" It is locked for the most part, it will "break" under high pressure. Not like break but will slip.
Much better if you are going to be using this to work everyday, with a locker your rear axle will be hard, not so good on pavement
If you got the $$$$ get a Air Locker, can lock and unlock it from inside the truck
I dont have much experience with lockers tho.
Does it have a 2.9L or a 4.0L?

than I think that makes it more possible it will be a D28

SBJ420 pretty much covered the basics of the D35 swap.

I definitely would 2nd swapping to the Explorer axles if you want to run 33s.
If you get the 8.8" rear from a '95-'01 model, you'll get rear disc brakes in the process. The front has to come from a '91-'94 in any case though. You can also look in '91-'97 4.0L V6 Rangers for the D35 too. '95-'97 models will have dual-piston brake calipers.

I think ARB Air Lockers are well worth having (especially in the front axle, where a fully locked diff can make steering a bit more difficult). Having the air source on hand makes reinflating tires easy when you're out in the woods, too.

You'll also want to regear the axle to 4.56 or 4.88 so the 2.9L engine runs at it's best with the 33" tires (I would recommend the 4.88)

Welcome to the BII world :D

i run just fine on my 33's and with 3.73's.would like to swap for some 4.10's but untill i blow the gear's out i see no need to change.

Well, Now i know where I can blow most of my earnings from deployments! Thanks for the info guys.

Back