some info on lowering Q's about ranchos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

some info on lowering Q's about ranchos

mr.p

Reaction score
City, State
Berkeley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer
well i went to roger kraus racing in castro valley, ca and at 100$ an hour labor they are going to lower my explorer, cut the bump stops if needed, drop the front 2.5" and the rear 1", and alignment...300$ :( which is allright considering they gaurantee their work and what not, and their an effing racing shop they had like 3 nascar style cars in the parking lot. I also have opted for new shocks, they are getting me rancho 9000's? which are for vehicles lowered 0-2" and are fully adjustable with settings from like 1-5 or 1-9 or somewhere around there, they reccomended them over the bilsteins due to the fact that the bilsteins are not adjustable at all, so they are firm just not the firmest you could get, and also are firm enough to lack in the ride quality department, and the rancho's are lifetime warrantied? which i dont believe but who knows. So this is happening next tuesday, and hopefully by then ill have my 17x8 mustang take off bullits on! see my other thread on some tire q's. total verdict after shock install lowering and all that is 850$:( but i know im getting a good job done not some midas shock install! Upon inspection of my shocks on the ex, the rear 2 are shot or almost shot they are leaking and that would explain why when i hit a medium sized bump the ass end jerks around like crazy!...im excited, anyone have any expierience with rancho shocks? any opinions appreciated. i am not 100% on the shock choice just yet so change my mind! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes i realize this as i already have the 1" drop blocks in the back of the ex...but its been there for 3+ months, in the back i mean the parts sitting in the box where my sub used to be, my uncles shop has had his 32 sedan on the rack for the last month just hanging out up there, i work graveyard and sleep all day and i just always find something else to do, and i have lifetime alignment at firestone they had some promo deal lol but yea, i dont trust firestone for my alignment, sure the tune ups but not correcting a dropped ex, and i want my suspension done correctly with a good piece of mind...oh and aside from my 100pc craftsman tool set and a driveway in front of my apartment i have like no work space until i switch shifts :( i know lots of excuses! oh and im being lazy...graveyard sucks:mad: its sad knowing how easy it is to do stuff and not being able to do it...electric fan and underdrive pullies will probably be done by someone else also :(

Chucklez

How many hours did they quote you?

lolz

You do know all you need to do is loosen the torsion bolts with 1 wrench

get an alignment, including installing camber washers (adjusters) and have the tire-alignment shop throw the blocks in

It will cost you 150 bux max

Roger Kraus to lower an explorer is like going to the outback steak house for a coke.

total the drop was 300 with alignment but idk if that includes camber adjusters or not, i think it might, and most of the expense is from the rancho shocks they are 140$ a piece, im trying to find them online but none are listed for an 02 sport...at all, and i cant seem to find the adjustable ones....i know i couldve gone to a cheaper shadier place to get it done, but considering its my dd and suspension work is pretty vital i like the piece of mind....anyone know if i have skidplates under my truck? i heard removing them can relieve 70lbs off the sport? any info on this?

You get the truck lowered yet and wheels mounted??? Lets see some pics!!!

i got the shocks on and partially lowered all we could get was .5" out of the front due to the torsion bolt being maxed out, this usually only happens with the sport tracs to my knowledge explorer express said theyve never seen an explorer not get a full 1 3/8...so i ordered some drop torsion keyways from airbagit.com and am gonna get them put in with some camber plates here eventually. As for the wheels, im trying to find a place that will machine the lips but nobody will touch them because the dont have machined lips already. So plan B is to get them powdercoated black and call it good...still working on it, i recently realized my back brakes need some attention so thats mynext project probably before lowering it...View attachment 48654

Back