Some MODs today... Swiss Cheese, silencer, silencer panel and K&N .. SOTP=YES!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some MODs today... Swiss Cheese, silencer, silencer panel and K&N .. SOTP=YES!!!

MuscleJunkie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer LTD AWD
Today I did a couple small mods on big white. I remove the airbox silencer and drilled eight Swiss cheese holes in the front side facing the headlights. Dropped in a K&N panel filter as well. I know there have been a lot of things written about these mods as to their effectiveness but I can say the seat-of-the-pants impression is a big hell yeah.! There was a definite and Major noticeable improvement across the board. It really woke this truck up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have done the same just need to put in a new filter.

the paper filter i have is nasty. Came that way when i bought my X.

How dirty was your old filter? A lot of people notice a difference only because their old filter was actually restricting.

The filter that was in there was so/so and I think it was a K&N knockoff. See below for the steps of my process to see the results of each step

* Started with K&N knockoff filter stock box - Result - Stock

* Removed silencer, silencer panel and drilled (SWISS CHEESE) 8- 1/2 inch holes to right of silencer hole (side facing headlight opening) - Result - Distinct improvement - exhaust much beefier sounding - feels SOTP more powerful

* Replaced K&N knockoff with Purolator Classic Paper Panel filter - Result - slight SOTP dropoff from previous step

* Replaced Purolator Classic Paper Filter with K&N Panel Filter and box seal gasket - Result - Distinct improvement over 2nd step. Even more SOTP power feel - exhaust even beefier sounding - feels much more powerful - completely different vehicle than stock.

Interesting. I wonder if there are any dyno's of guys that got a Mac intake to see what gains they saw. From what I remember it was hardly anything but who knows.

Shaker scoop and ram air next! There used to be a kit for foxes...
But in all serious, thanks for posting. Good info! And shots of your Swiss cheesing?

Do you have any pictures of the silencer you took out? I didn't see anything to take out on my 98 5.0 so I'm curious to see if I missed it.

You think this will work well for the 4.0 OHV?

Here are two pictures.

The 1st is of my airbox with the silencer removed and then my "Swiss Cheese" Mod which basically was using a 1/2" Hole Bit in my drill to drill the holes on this one side only (This is the side that faces the headlight area where air is blown toward the box when driving. Kind of like a quasi-ram air effect.

The 2nd photo is the removed silencer and silencer panel.

Attachments

• 20151008_182814.jpg
    20151008_182814.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 379
  • 20151008_182353.jpg
    20151008_182353.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 393

You think this will work well for the 4.0 OHV?

Yes, this should help any similar config because all it is doing is allowing more air to get to the airbox without restriction which should allow (with a low restriction K&N Panel filter - be sure to use their included box gasket seal) the engine to breath better than the stock configuration.

Wow. Very different airbox than my 96 5.0. When I pulled my silencer tt left a much larger hole in the side of my airbox.

Did the throttle cable mod this evening. Two zip ties later the throttle response is greatly improved. I definitely recommend this quick free mod.

First thing I checked in mine but my TB opens all the way when the gas is pressed fully.

First thing I checked in mine but my TB opens all the way when the gas is pressed fully.

Do you have any slack in the wire at your pedal?

surprisingly it was still very tight. Tight like a tiger

but ill double check again

surprisingly it was still very tight. Tight like a tiger

but ill double check again

Just pull the pedal forward when checking. When you pull the pedal forward and then look at the wire - if there is any space between the end of the wire and the plastic spacer (I think some have an inline spring) - then that is where you can put zip ties. Doing this will at least give you better throttle response because you will then not have to push to pedal so hard to get the truck to move.

I did the air cleaner mod today, used a larger bit and a few less holes. I had already replaced the airfilter with k&n, while I am not sure it gained any HP it sounds a whole lot better.

So I picked up an SCT x4 Tuner. Did the update and installed the 87 Octane Tune with removed speed limiter (I am running V Speed Rated Tires)

Once this tank of gas is finished I'll fill up with 93 and install that tune.

Waiting on the custom tune that is included with the device.

I'll report back on SOTP impressions. I think I'll make a trip down to the dyno for a comparision of

Stock
SCT 93 Tune
Custom Tune

Attachments

• 20151030_112140.jpg
    20151030_112140.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 262

So I picked up an SCT x4 Tuner. Did the update and installed the 87 Octane Tune with removed speed limiter (I am running V Speed Rated Tires)

Once this tank of gas is finished I'll fill up with 93 and install that tune.

Waiting on the custom tune that is included with the device.

I'll report back on SOTP impressions. I think I'll make a trip down to the dyno for a comparision of

Stock
SCT 93 Tune
Custom Tune

where are you getting the custom tune from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back