Some questions on a 2021 Ford Explorer Purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some questions on a 2021 Ford Explorer Purchase

msg

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 Ford Explorer Limited
Hello All. I am closing in on a purchase decision on a 2021 Ford Explorer and wanted to get some feedback on a few items ...

I am struggling with the Platinum vs. ST decision. A smooth ride and comfortable front row seats are a major priority. But I really love the look and added speed of the ST. Which leads to these questions ...

1) How much smoother is the ride on the Platinum vs. the ST?
2) is there any difference in seat comfort between these two trims?

Finally, like many, reading about the 2020 launch problem made me super nervous about acquiring a 6th generation Explorer. Now that we are very late in the 2021 model year, what is the experience on how many of the early 2020 quality problems have been resolved? Is it worth waiting for the 2022's.

Thanks in advance for whatever feedback/comments might be offered. It would really help me with my purchasing decision. I am also looking at the Volvo XC90 but as a Ford Expedition owner now, I'd like to stay Ford if I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a 21 ST 3 days ago. The ST has a slightly stiffer suspension, but they both get the multi contour front seats, and my wife loves the massage feature. She's already talking about trying to switch with me and steal my ST. You can get the smaller 20" wheels on the ST, but on the platinum 21's are standard for 21. The smaller the wheel, the more comfortable the ride, so keep that in mind if it's a factor to you. Also, whatever you choose, Ford over pressurizes the tires at the factory for shipping and most dealerships don't adjust them back down to where they should be so they will ride like and old covered wagon. Mine was delivered with 50 psi in the tires, I had to lower it down to the recommended 33 psi.

Oh, one more thing, if color is a factor to you, the atlas blue is not available on the platinum, only from ST and down.

I doubt any magical quality improvements happened between 2020 and 2021. Most complaints seem to be component based, not assembly or setup.

Finally, like many, reading about the 2020 launch problem made me super nervous about acquiring a 6th generation Explorer. Now that we are very late in the 2021 model year, what is the experience on how many of the early 2020 quality problems have been resolved? Is it worth waiting for the 2022's.

I looked for a late build 2020 and haven't been disappointed. Our ST was built in September of 2020, just before the '21s hit the line. Six months, and 6000 miles later, no problems with the vehicle. It has never been back to the dealership.

I would just add that if ride comfort is a concern that you test drive both. Make sure the tire pressures have been set to 33psi as mentioned.

Hello All. I am closing in on a purchase decision on a 2021 Ford Explorer and wanted to get some feedback on a few items ...

I am struggling with the Platinum vs. ST decision. A smooth ride and comfortable front row seats are a major priority. But I really love the look and added speed of the ST. Which leads to these questions ...

Thanks in advance for whatever feedback/comments might be offered. It would really help me with my purchasing decision. I am also looking at the Volvo XC90 but as a Ford Expedition owner now, I'd like to stay Ford if I can.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The launch issues aside, if you intend to spend a lot of $$ on a vehicle, it would be foolish, in my opinion, not take each one out for a test drive. What is comfortable to one person may not be so to another. It's a vehicle you are going to be driving for a while so draw your own conclusions from a test drive. BTW, the last date to order a 2021 is June 25th. The 2022 models begin production on October 11th.

Peter

You can always get a tune on the Platinum to match/beat the performance of the stock ST.

You can always get a tune on the Platinum to match/beat the performance of the stock ST.

You can always buy a Porsche GT3 RS to beat a Corvette as well, or you can always make a slow car fast. Point is someone is always faster no matter how much money you put into or upgrades you make to your current ride.

You can always buy a Porsche GT3 RS to beat a Corvette as well, or you can always make a slow car fast. Point is someone is always faster no matter how much money you put into or upgrades you make to your current ride.
I think the very valid point was you could get the plush ride and the engine performance. You don’t have to choose between the two.

I think the very valid point was you could get the plush ride and the engine performance. You don’t have to choose between the two.
I would agree that a very valid point was being made. It's up to the OP if he would want to do this.

Is there a noticeable difference in power between the 2.3 Eco Boost ( Explorer/XLT/LTD) and the Platinum, with the 3.0 V-6?

Is there a noticeable difference in power between the 2.3 Eco Boost ( Explorer/XLT/LTD) and the Platinum, with the 3.0 V-6?
XLT - 300 HP, 310 lb.-ft.
Platinum - 365 HP, 380 lb.-ft.
I guess the noticeable difference all depends on how you like to drive the vehicle. I think it's usually the torque that you feel most.
Your MPG should also be better with the 2.3L Ecoboost.

Peter

I suspect the ST will ride a touch stiffer but should handle better.
Don't think seat comfort will be much different.
But, when you mash the ST to the floor--you'll know why you bought it to begin with. Otherwise, you will always have some questions in your mind as to whether all the things good things you are hearing about the ST should have swayed your decision to begin with.
Just buy the ST an make yourself and the rest of us that want one happy.

I sell Ford and I would personally go with the Platinum if you’re looking for comfort. This is only my opinion but the 10 speed transmission does much better with the 2.3L vs the 3.0L in the ST. If you really prefer the aesthetic and sportiness, you can always find ST wheels and change some badging but I drive a 2021 with the 2.3L and it’s a great ride. I’ve heard less happy stories about the 10 speed transmission when paired with the ST.

I sell Ford and I would personally go with the Platinum if you’re looking for comfort. This is only my opinion but the 10 speed transmission does much better with the 2.3L vs the 3.0L in the ST. If you really prefer the aesthetic and sportiness, you can always find ST wheels and change some badging but I drive a 2021 with the 2.3L and it’s a great ride. I’ve heard less happy stories about the 10 speed transmission when paired with the ST.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I suspect the ST will ride a touch stiffer but should handle better.
Don't think seat comfort will be much different.
But, when you mash the ST to the floor--you'll know why you bought it to begin with. Otherwise, you will always have some questions in your mind as to whether all the things good things you are hearing about the ST should have swayed your decision to begin with.
Just buy the ST an make yourself and the rest of us that want one happy.
I second this as a regretful 2017 2.3L owner who to this day, wishes I would of just ponied up the extra for the sport/platinum.

The 2.3 is a solid engine and it actually is a peppy little engine but it definitely doesn’t have the power like the twin turbo sport and now ST.

I had a 2019 Explorer Sport and lover the car. Had it for a little over 27,000 miles. Then, it happened!
Instrument cluster went “bad”, dealer installed a new one. Three days later, as I’m driving down the road, got a “transmission not in park” message and cluster went dark again. After fighting this same battle the dealership made me an offer I couldn’t say no to on a 2021 Explorer ST. Love everything about the car! Has Pirelli tires instead of Hankook like the 2019. Road harsh at first but tires were overinflated. When air pressure was corrected, I became very satisfied with the ride. Like the 21” tires and blacked out rims with painted calipers. So far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:

The difference is both have the same exact drivetrain just different tune..... which was the point of the post. Keep the comfort/luxury with the ST speed....

Besides, Ford usually underrates their HP specs on boosted cars. Has there been any Platinums on the dyno and compared to the ST's? For all we know, they're both probably making the same HP just with a different final gear ratio and suspension.

Yeah, not exactly sure why the snippy response. My point is if someone is hung up on going the luxury route or slightly better performance route, they can spend $500 and get the best of both worlds. The comparison of going with a Porsche GT3 RS is so far out there in comparison that I'm a bit cofounded by that even being a point of argument.

At the end of the day, buy what makes you happy. Tunes are relatively cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The limited upgraded seats, audio and the rear shades make for some pretty cool upgrades. The point I was making for those of you all who did not get it is typically it costs a lot of money to upgrade modify vehicles. For the thousands you could spend on making a 2.3 liter faster you could add that much and upgrade to a Platinum or if you want something faster than that then go spend the extra on an Audi or AMG Mercedes. Someone is always faster, and the comment was not meant to be snappy.

Back