Some questions regarding pick-a-part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some questions regarding pick-a-part

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Im gonna swing over to pick-a-part tomorrow and see what they have for exploder parts, specifically transmissions.

Is there a safe way to choose an A4LD from a yard without being able to test it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ummm not really your gonna do that then you better get the warranty :D So you can keep exchanging them till you get a good one if there is a good one to be had at all since most first gens end there anyways cause the trans went bad in the first place in most cases.IMO

wouldn't do it..A friend of mine did on a first gen...pulled his old trans out put in the junk yard tran and it slipped quite a bit....Had a warranty ! but big deal...too much work to screw with that again !

Whenever I pull major parts, like a transmission, I try to get one from a vehicle that has been in an accident. At least you know the vehicle wasn't scrapped for a bad transmission. It's also a good idea to check the fluid and make sure that it's a nice red color, and doesn't smell burnt. You can also pull the transmission pan and check for metal filings.

One important question would be regrading two wire and three wire transmissions. I don't know anything about the extra wire but my buddies 89 ranger required a three wire A4LD, his truck has a 4cyl. I don't know if it would be the same for my explorer or not. He had replaced his and ordered it from a company in Canada for $450 plus shipping with a one year warranty. They had him check his to make sure he got the right one, said a two wire wouldn't work in a three wire truck and vice versa.

That company is a supplier to a local transmission shop, Bedford Transmission. They gave him the numbers of their suppliers because they didn't have what he needed. I called a few weeks later and they said they had several rebuilt A4LD's in stock.

Anyone know the difference between the two wire and three wire A4LD's?

The 2 wire (TCC solenoid only) was used until 87. 88-up has the 3 wire (TCC & 3-4 shift solenoids). You could check the fluid, bands, and modulator on a junkyard model to get a general idea of its condition.

Back