Some Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some Questions

Reaction score
City, State
Russellville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Nothing yet
Hi guys. My name is Nathan and I've been floating around here for a while making a couple of posts here and there. First let me say what an excellently designed forum this is. There is information everywhere you look. My personal favourite would have be the amateur radio section. I would recommend people from different sites to this site just for the information and knowledge.

Now on to the good stuff. I've considered Explorer's in my past purchases, one 4WD 1st gen and a 2WD 2nd gen. Now I have come to you guys with some questions regarding the purchase of one.

In the future, probably around 2009 when taxes come in, I'll be purchasing a four-wheel drive Explorer. But here lies my conflict, I'm not sure what to purchase. Really my main goal is this: Start out with a running, stock Explorer and build up using aftermarket accessories. I've seen two very well designed trucks from the site: DeRocha's First Generation 4WD and TRJ360's 2nd Generation. Personally I think these two trucks really show off what I have in mind for mine.

My ideas lay as followed:
  • A lift. Suspension because if I understand this correctly you will get more ground clearance
  • Possibly a locker in the rear, thinking something that can be turned on and off.
  • A second battery.
  • A front bumper replacement or if that cannot happen, a grille guard.
  • Roof Rack
  • Aftermarket Wheels and Tires to match the lift
  • CB and Antenna
  • Replacement floor mats to protect the interior
  • Performance parts such as air intake, ECU upgrade, such and such.
  • Audio. This is a must because I love my music :p
  • Radar Detector from Valentine One for city driving
  • HAM Radio. Because of the forum's section on amateur radio I've decided to get my license and start playing with the idea.
  • Trail armor, probably taillight guards, rock slider, skid plate.
  • Offroad Lights
  • Analog Police Band Scanner
  • A possible GPS device
  • Backup atlas lol
  • Replacing the interior lights with green LEDs to preserve night vision and allowing to read maps

This is a general list. Which generation would you consider if you had these ideas in mind? And if you have to call me crazy for extreme early planning do it lol.

Thanks for reading!

--Nathan ^-^

Planning things out allways give you better results.

Okay, so after a long and hard thoughtful decision, I have decided on a 2nd Gen sport merely because I happen to like the look of it and see promise for it in the future. I'm going to start compiling a list of wanted parts and open a savings account for it. Appreciate the help guys ^-^

--Nathan

Back