Someone remind me why I do this... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Someone remind me why I do this...

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
I haven't done much work on the Explorer in a LONG time. I've changed the oil and such as needed, but there have been issues I've ignored. Mostly the power steering leak.

Two weeks before my Mustang arrived the leak got the best of things and blew out a main seal in the steering box. I replaced the steering box with one from a junk yard and while I was at it I ran the low pressure side through the OEM transmission cooler.

A few days later, to help keep temps low on the trails, I cut some ventilation holes in the hood. Well, as it turns out, my power steering PUMP was also leaking, not just my steering box. So the fluid was being misted up onto my windshield as I drove. I tried to spray it, but the sprayer hose was saturated and soft so it popped off the dang pump every time.

So yesterday I dove into replacing the pump. Long story short, I missed the trail ride today to the place I've wanted to go for years (which ended up being beneficial; keep reading) but I did get the (second) replacement pump installed... although it did retain a section of the bolt used to reinstall the pulley.

Today as I finished the install of the power steering pump and bled the system... I had the engine idling for about five minutes. Stepped back and there was fluid steadily dripping onto the ground...

My dang water pump is leaking. A lot. So now I get to swap that, too.

Someone remind me why I do this. I've spent countless hours working on this thing the last few weeks and I only get to take it out MAYBE once a month. Last Sunday was the first time taking it out in about five months, as my wife and I were preparing for, purchasing, and moving into a new house and I hadn't had time to get the leaks under control until I made the time to swap out the steering box.

Its a Labour of Love !! When your Exp is running how it should be you will sit in the drivers seat, put your foot to the floor and a big smile will appear - guarranteed.

Its a Labour of Love !! When your Exp is running how it should be you will sit in the drivers seat, put your foot to the floor and a big smile will appear - guarranteed.
The only reason I'd smile after putting my foot to the floor in the Explorer is because I'd be laughing at how slow it is compared to my Mustang. :p

Okay- the power steering pump swap/flush is 100% complete. The fuel level sending unit is repaired (the float was cracked and therefore not floating.)

Now just need to swap the water pump and t-case skid plate. At least the water pump doesn't appear to require removal of the accessories to swap it out.

Back