Something I learned about my Charcoal Canister | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something I learned about my Charcoal Canister

Guinness

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I learned this the hard way. Guys and girls, never try over filling your gas tank at the pump. Gas had got into my Charcoal Canister and messed up my Canister Purge Solenoid. Both which I replaced, both parts weren't exspensive, but when your X isn't running right.:( NEVER-EVER FILL YOUR GAS TANK UPTO THE GAS FILLER HOLE. It isn't worth the few extra miles of gas you put in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey,
You mean the cannister under the hood? Where does the gas come from to get there?
I just realised I just dismiss all those gizmos as something I don`t need to know.

not to say that you are wrong, but i haven't had any problems.....yet.

I heard that if you put in more gas after it clicks itself off, you can lose or waste the gas. So, just let it click off.

The charcoal canister is fuel vapor storage, there is a "breather" vacuum line connected to your gas fill hole, at the other end is the charcoal canister. When you overfill your gas tank the fluid gas gets into where it shouldn't be. In the charcoal canister vacuum line, there it'll sit until you start your engine again. You'll know when fuel has reached the canister when you start your engine, some on it will be blown out the top of the canister and you'll smell the fuel. Including your canister purge solenoid could be damaged by the gas if it gets to it enough times. The canister purge solenoid is the little silver tube connected to the vacuum line and it has the engine control wired up to it. For now one when the gas filler stops on it's own, I'll just top off to the next dollar.:)

My Charcoal Canister Always smells of gas when I drive it, and I can smell it in the cabin. I think I may have a problem.

How much farther is that smidgeon of gas gunna get anyone anyway. I always thought you didn`t do that to allow for some expansion of the gas once it comes from the cool ground, especially if you are parking right away. Maybe doing this could even force gas into that cannister?
I still don`t understand why my tank makes a noise like there is a partial vacuum in there whenever I open the cap. Wouldn`t this indicate that it is kind of air tight?
Or perhaps there is some sort of pressure release system which will vent into the cannister??

Good info to pass along...thanks!
I can concur with the overfilling thing. Our Expediton had that problem. Seems the first owner overfilled the tank enough that our canister and purge valve were both damaged too. Ford service advised us to never overfill the tank or we will have to replace the parts again. They said they see this thing all the time.
Ken

Back