Something is draining my battery and it is not the altenator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something is draining my battery and it is not the altenator.

Kath777

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer 4wd
:help::help: My car would not start and my battery was dead. I purchased a new battery and it started fine for a couple of days. Now, something is draining the battery again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best i can do is give you a possible diagnostic method. if you disconnect the positive terminal and hook a multimeter between your battery and the lead with the meter set to amps with the vehicle off it will show you the draw. start with your accessory fuses such as a/c, radio, and other non essentials and pull each fuse one at a time. when you see the draw drop the most the electronics you just pulled the fuse for may be the culprit. this isnt a foolproof end all diagnostic but it is one way to find certain types of parasitic draw. outside of just taking geusses its the best i can offer at the moment.

There was something peculiar, I don't quite remember all the details... I think Rick wrote about it a few years ago, where the alternator will not charge if the dashboard charge warning light is burned out. Be sure the light comes on when you first turn the key to ON before starting. I think Drakon is giving you great advice, I'm just saying don't automatically assume the system is charging, I would test that too.

When the battery was swapped it would have died in minutes if the alternator was not charging.

best i can do is give you a possible diagnostic method. if you disconnect the positive terminal and hook a multimeter between your battery and the lead with the meter set to amps with the vehicle off it will show you the draw. start with your accessory fuses such as a/c, radio, and other non essentials and pull each fuse one at a time. when you see the draw drop the most the electronics you just pulled the fuse for may be the culprit. this isnt a foolproof end all diagnostic but it is one way to find certain types of parasitic draw. outside of just taking geusses its the best i can offer at the moment.
Caution is advisable here, as mis-steps using a series-wired ammeter can instantly destroy it. Use highest range setting first, make sure no one messes around with lights, etc.

Thank you, I will try this today.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Any relay can “weld” closed and cause this issue.

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your info.

I'm sure the alternator was tested right? And tested in the truck while running?

Check your Alternator or Generator FUSE if the battery light is on in the dash then your alternator will not charge

There was something peculiar, I don't quite remember all the details... I think Rick wrote about it a few years ago, where the alternator will not charge if the dashboard charge warning light is burned out. Be sure the light comes on when you first turn the key to ON before starting. I think Drakon is giving you great advice, I'm just saying don't automatically assume the system is charging, I would test that too.
what about when your meter on the dash swings and gets stuck past the off mark

what about when your meter on the dash swings and gets stuck past the off mark
Then you pull your cover off your cluster and fix it. Or, use a multimeter directly on the battery.

Back