• Register Today It's free!

something leaking....HELP!!

XonDubs

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 AWD Limited
ok i drove to milwaukee today and went to my aunts house...she lives in a frank lloyd wright house....up a big hill...well when leaving i noticed something dripped(kinda like poured out) all the way up the hill and all the way into the driveway....checked engine oil...power steering and tranny fluid....all was full and no more leaking now....i looked under it and it seems like its coming out from the seal on the tranny....but wtf its not empty...its totally full.....what do you guys think it is? i also noticed a metal tube going straight down from the tranny that just ends....nothing connected and nothing to cap it off with....whats that? it dont look like the fluid came out of there....
oh and also on my back liftgate there seems to be oil splatter spots all over it and i just washed it before i went to milwaukee....help me out asap please guys....im still in milwaukee and gotta leave tonight so all help would be appreachiated...
thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tube hanging dowm is either your tranny vent hose or t-case vent hose. I would checl everything thoroughly. Start with power steering resevoir, brake cylinder, engine, tranny, t-case and front and rear diffs.

That is where all the fluid is. if the seal between the tranny and t-case went then the fluid is from the t-case. just loosen fill nut on level ground and wait to see if fluid comes out before you have it loose all the way. If not then add fluid and check the torque on the bolts. You are supposed to torque them in a specific order and to like 30 ft/lbs. The t-case should be filled like the diffs. fill until fluid just starts to overflow out the fill hole. or level with the bottom of the fill hole.

Oh and just to make certain the line of fluid up the driveway was from you? I have had something similar happen to me only to discover later that it was someone elses vehicle. Man I was stressed cause I couldn't find a thing.

it was new looking on the ground and the bar that goes across under the truck*i think below trannt* is full of something and i see drips from where the gasket is

oh and when i parked it on gravel to check it it was coming out still under the truck...but now its not??? wtf is wrong with this thing lol
i checked everything too
but i will check agaion to make sure...

Originally posted by XonDubs
oh and when i parked it on gravel to check it it was coming out still under the truck...but now its not??? wtf is wrong with this thing lol
i checked everything too
but i will check agaion to make sure...

Do you have 4x4? If so is it coming from housing between tranny and t-case? If so then it stopped because the t-case is empty now. It only take like a little less than 2 qts. From what you are saying it sounds like it is coming from the extension housing which would lead me to believe that it is the t-case.

well. i got it checked out by a friend and the tranny fluid is totally clear....and smells like water..:(
must be from when i got stuck in mud that one time.....any way to fix this myself? or do i gotta take it in?

Take it somewhere and get the tranny flushed and filter changed. Also get them to check your diferentials, transfer case (if you have one) , Power stering fluid and brake fluid and lines for any sort of leaks to be on the safe side while its in there.

how much am i looking at for this to set me back?

and say it is the T-case too since it looks like its coming from the gasket....how do i fix that?? does it need a new gasket...? it was just replaced by the dealer too....
thanks guys for the help

Originally posted by XonDubs
and say it is the T-case too since it looks like its coming from the gasket....how do i fix that?? does it need a new gasket...? it was just replaced by the dealer too....
thanks guys for the help

Oh really well I wonder if they didn't torgue it properly or something. Gasket is like 12 from dealer. very easy to fix

Back