Something leaking when AC is on..not just condensation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something leaking when AC is on..not just condensation

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
Something is leaking underneath my truck when ac on. The water puddle has a oil look to it and smeels a bit..but not like oil. I can see under the truck where something has definatly been leaking and onto the Cats and exhaust causing a smell when truck gets warm. Smell is outside and in when say stopped at a light..whatever leaked seems to he buring off the cats when they heat up causing the smell covered in this black leaks

Dealer replaced my PTU 3 weeks ago? It started about 2 weeks ago this smell and the leak i noticed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What color is it? Power steering fluid maybe? But it only leaks when the A/C is on? Is the A/C performing ok? Hmmm. Not antifreeze dripping out of the reservoir?

What color is it? Power steering fluid maybe? But it only leaks when the A/C is on? Is the A/C performing ok? Hmmm. Not antifreeze dripping out of the reservoir?

No power steering fluid on 2011+ Explorers. The system is electromechanical.

It could be trans fluid leaking after the PTU swap. Take it back.

Put a white paper towel in the fluid, if it has any color it will show up.

Something is leaking underneath my truck when ac on. The water puddle has a oil look to it and smeels a bit..but not like oil. I can see under the truck where something has definatly been leaking and onto the Cats and exhaust causing a smell when truck gets warm. Smell is outside and in when say stopped at a light..whatever leaked seems to he buring off the cats when they heat up causing the smell covered in this black leaks

Dealer replaced my PTU 3 weeks ago? It started about 2 weeks ago this smell and the leak i noticed.
I was going to say PTU fluid from a leaking seal.

Peter

I was going to say PTU fluid from a leaking seal.

Peter

I brought it back to dealer right from work..gave me a loaner..but i brought it so late in day..won't get looked at till tomorrow

Update: No leak as they said it was from them replacing the PTU.... but still a strange smell when sitting in traffic with the AC/heat on. When moving you don't smell it. Smells like coolant or something like that. They couldn't find whatever it is

Back