• Register Today It's free!

something to praize

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
I have had several explorers throughout the years and they have been mostly trouble free. Some inexpensive parts here and there but no hard complaints on the ex.

The most popular suv :salute:ever can get some bad rap sometimes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my Explorer to death, I really do, but I am CONSTANTLY having problems with it.

I currently have three ongoing problems. Idler pulley is squeaking, the car is taking forever to turnover and start, and the key keeps getting stuck with a death-grip in the ignition.

In the past, I've had to have the tranny rebuilt, a new torque converter, TWO camshaft position synchronizer things, a total AC system rebuild, and probably others that I can't think of at the moment.

That coupled with the fact that my Mustang I had before this had so many problems I can't even list them. But that car had been wrecked multiple times and had over 150k miles.

The Explorer is clean and has less than 77k with all these problems.

I love my Explorer to death, I really do, but I am CONSTANTLY having problems with it.

I currently have three ongoing problems. Idler pulley is squeaking,

I would replace this today, they usually let go on the highway suddenly.

76,000 on my 98, only real big problem was the front diff went. $250 for a used unit, a few new seals and 3 hours of labor was all it took to get her up and running again.
Honestly, it's been a trouble free truck so far.

213K on the old 5.0, bigest repair was having a head replaced because some idiot didnt use antisieze on the spark plugs. now i only run double platinum

only problems I had on my ex was caused by offroad abuse and aggressive driving, (not supposed to enter a burnout contest with the brown wire mod btw) and michigan rust, that is untill I got hit head on by a effin dodge

My 01 Sport has been great. Bought it new, just passed 130k. Other than basic sched. maintenance, I've done new rotors, shocks, and the upper/lower ball joints (which should really be considered scheduled maintenance on an Ex with 100k+, stupid "lifetime" parts, ugh).

Oh, and I re-covered the center console/arm rest (which made such a difference in the interior that my wife was more impressed with that than the brake job).

Back