• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Now that's got me thinking...better make sure that center console doesn't have an ash tray.
No smoking allowed ;)

And the system is sealed (fuel injection with an EVAP) - so there should be no fuel vapors outside. And the whole area where the radiator and fuel tank sits is going to be isolated from the people area with some composite material once everything is in place.

-------------------

Forgot to add the fuel pump to the last post -- an in-tank design to keep things quiet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Ah I knew I forgot to mention something - its calculated at just a little over 21 gallons.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Might as well just ditch the rear seat all together, place the fuel cell in its place.

Whats the plans for the rear? Something is going on back there if the fuel cell is that far forward.

Aren't you worried having it inside the cab area? That just freaks me out where it is now.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Whats the plans for the rear? Something is going on back there if the fuel cell is that far forward.
This chassis is like a tobaggon - like this: \___/ . The axles go on the ends of the tobaggon with a high-mounted panhard bar. So that means everything important needs to be mounted in the tobaggon in case of a serious rollover (protection). So the only things that will be behind or on top of the rear axle are less important things like the spare tire.

Aren't you worried having it inside the cab area? That just freaks me out where it is now.
Doesn't really worry me too much :) - there are plenty of buggies with fuel cells mounted right behind the driver. This just happens to be beside the passenger. And, as I mentioned up one of my previous replies, there will be a composite wall (kevlar-carbon?) that is going to separate the people area from the fuel tank, radiator, battery, and so on. You'll notice in the shot below that there is a gap between the fuel tank and the seat - thats for the wall:

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
After all the insane fab skills displayed thus far, can any one really doubt IZ's ability to keep himself safe while installing a fuel cell?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
After all the insane fab skills displayed thus far, can any one really doubt IZ's ability to keep himself safe while installing a fuel cell?
Hey now, I can express my concern as I feel fit. Asking a question about something that freaks ME out, does not imply a doubt in his ability's.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Now now guys, lets all meet at the local bakery and talk this over a chunk of layered chocolate cake.

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Got any pictures of the whole rig? Really nice looking fab work so far!

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Awesome work, dood. I would like you to come out and we can work on my tig "skills" together. Free cake.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Got any pictures of the whole rig? Really nice looking fab work so far!
Thanks - I haven't taken a pic of the entire vehicle for a while but I'll try to next time I have the camera out.

Awesome work, dood. I would like you to come out and we can work on my tig "skills" together. Free cake.
Free cake? AND you and me together? omfg omfg!!! YES!!!

cybergasm

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer 5.0
Now if you are going to put all these Covers and separators on this thing. Then how you gonna show all the fantabulous Fab Work? :D

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Now if you are going to put all these Covers and separators on this thing. Then how you gonna show all the fantabulous Fab Work? :D
It will never get wheeled. On completion it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:

jwrezz

Elite Snow Shoveler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parsippany, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
It will never get wheeled. On completion it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:

Ha!:bsnicker:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
.. it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:
For being the longest, drawn-out project ever in recorded history

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
It'll be somewere next to the Spruce Goose- the most awe inspiring Explorer ever created... a lifetime of epicness built into one rig. You'll run half of one trail with all the press watching and then park it forever.

There'll be one grainy 30 second vid of it on youtube. :p:

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
VVorked on the fuel tank plate.

Two AN-6 ports (pump and return), one AN-8 port for EVAP, a marine sender and fuel pump wires:

Other side -- fifteen 1/4-20 button head screws secure the top plate to the bottom plate. :

18" long marine sender:

Close up of the pump and the bottom of the marine sender. The fuel pump feeds into the square tube which then leads to one of the AN-6 ports on top of the tank's plate.

A foam 'isolator' sleeve will go between the pump and its support, and the pump will be secured with a hose clamp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

'97 V8

Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
why is this not done yet?