Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 66 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Body:
  • the doors are coming back on as "skins".
  • the rear hatch will also be a "skin" but is moving forward about a foot to minimize overhang (this also means a foot needs to be removed from the rear quarter and the roof) .
  • not sure yet about the hood cauz a new intake plenum/manifold will be made (and hopefully move the torque curve down lower on the RPM scale), so we'll make decisions on the hood after all the engine related stuf is set.

As for the center of gravity - the vehicle as its sitting on the stands is about 2 inches lower than the first SAS config. Once its sitting on its own suspension and 40 or whatever inch tires, it should come down at least another 3 inches or so. So overall, the belly height (as measured from the future skid plate) will be around 24 inches - which is right around most rigs like F-toys and such. And aluminum/composites will be used for the interior tsssuu reduce weight.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

WOW, tttuuuubbbeee work! Those are some busy pictures, definately and A++++ for fab skillz! Is this a monster truck or an explorer? :D

I hate that word :D

Would one of these synonyms work for you then:

Main Entry: monster
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: giant animal; supernatural being
Synonyms: Frankenstein, abnormality, barbarian, beast, behemoth, brute, centaur, colossus, demon, devil, dragon, fiend, freak, giant, hellion, horror, leviathan, lusus naturae, mammoth, miscreation, monstrosity, mutant, ogre, phoenix, savage, titan, villain, werewolf, whale

Okay its not the words that I hate, its what it stands for :p:. IMO, "monster trucks" dont do anything really technical - just a bunch of showing off.

uummm and your not going to be showing off after building this thing?????

showing of with technicality

step_back.jpg

Wow been wanting to see a pic like this for months, finally get to see part of the final picture... so jealous!! I live through these threads I am just getting started at my metal fab and B2 rebuild, so its nice to see how far you have come! what a wicked project!!!

This pic gives a bit of perspective on what you have built here, amazing, simply amazing.
I wonder what it weighs? LOL

I think the technical is kind of inherent of the nature of the project. I tried to keep the Megasquirt and car PC separate but those two are still highly intgrated with the rest of the vehicle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr.President,
How are you going to get that out of the garage?

Reminds me of when Dick Van Dyke's character built Chitty Chitty Bang Bang inside, and couldn't get it out!

Sincerely,
Flip-flop :)

Mr.President,
How are you going to get that out of the garage?

Reminds me of when Dick Van Dyke's character built Chitty Chitty Bang Bang inside, and couldn't get it out!

Sincerely,
Flip-flop :)

A sawzall is your friend....

izwack,
i would love to be able to possibly come meet you one day and see this monster seeing how i live 10 minutes away, and you did give me good advice on my Tcase.
im a pro with car stereos and im an it analyst so if you ever need help just give me a holla

nice work tho:thumbsup:

The height shouldn't be a problem since this build will have a lower roof than the first SAS config. The front axle has always been the tricky part since its really wide. But since this D60 is only like 2 inches wider than my old D44 (which was an odd/rare D44 for its width), and since the new wheels have about an inch more backspacing, then the overall witdth should be about the same as the first SAS config. The new tire is going to be a bit wider but that's probably a minute problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks laxmankk11, you should come to one of our Meet and Greets. We'll probably hold one towards the end of summer / beginning of fall.

Love the dome light :D
Posted via Mobile Device

i would love too, if its not too far, im turing it my two weeks notice today :thumbsup: i HATE my job. and school starts soon, going to MC and i finally get my X back today with a fixed tranny!!!!!:):D:cool:

Love the dome light :D
Posted via Mobile Device

yes, you can start hard wiring things in your truck to your breaker panel in your house when it sits in one spot for more than 2 years.

yes, you can start hard wiring things in your truck to your breaker panel in your house when it sits in one spot for more than 2 years.

Now that was funny. :D

LOL well fortunately it hasnt been two years yet!!! :p:

Back