Something's Definitely Wrong Under Here | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something's Definitely Wrong Under Here

Gryz

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I do not know much about the undersides of vehicles, but I do know when my Explorer isn't riding right. When I go around a turn I hear a loud thud and feel it under my feet, so the other day I took a look underneath to see if I could tell if I could see anything.

I assume from the titles that the piece is the torsion bar, but I'm not sure other than that. All I can tell you is that #13 is not inserted into #10, like it is on my passenger side. Here is the link to a parts list and picture

http://www.teamfordparts.com/partlo...8050&callout=8&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

I am away at school now, but I was wondering if I could jack up the car and insert it back in, or if would require more than that and a trip to the dealership...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Piece number 13 would be a sway bar link. I'm guessing if the sway bar came off of that, you will need to replace that piece. Any regular auto part store should have it. While you're in there, I would replace the sway bar link bushings on the other side, and possibly the ones on the frame mount.

Since you say the sway bar is disconnected, does it seem like it leans an excessive amount while turning?

Yes, it might be in my head though, but I think that it does lean more to the left when going around a turn.

If you fix that link it will sway noticeably less both ways.

How do I go about fixing it? Is it something I can do myself, or do I have to take it in somewhere?

It's a 15 minute job. Go to Autozone, buy new end links (I believe they have a lifetime warranty on theirs) and it shouldn't take you more than a few minutes with the right sockets. PLEASE don't take this to anyone to have it done.

Thank you everyone.

I don't intend on taking this anywhere, especially after hearing it's a simple fix.

You recommend replacing both while I'm under there?

Yes replace both. The other side will break off soon anyway if not replaced. The bolts usually rust through and snap off.

If you can't get the "good" side to unbolt, just keep trying to twist it and it'll break off.

Its an easy job. I did both of mine in the parking lot at work during lunch. Didn't even need a jack and didn't get my clothes dirty.

a shop wanted to charge me $150 for sway bar end links...I did the whole job for $30 in my drive way in 30 minutes (beer opening included)

ugh , i wish , picked up 1 sway bar link today , and have the other coming,,

moog front swaybar links,, are 33 $ a piece here, ,

Thanks. I got them at Autozone for $15 each. I just have a question about installing them. As one of the posters said, I don't need to jack up the car, but would that make it easier? Also, are they under pressure...do I need to be careful when unbolting them?

Lastly, there are two bushing on each end, does one bushing go under the sway bar I am attaching it to and one on top?

yes
the bushings should "sandwich" around the metal at both top and bottom-
the channel groove in each rubber bushing rides in the metal

You might find it easier to jack up the front of the truck-and remove the front wheels-
put the wheels under the frame rail for safety-if the truck falls from a jack stand it will land on the wheels.

Remove both endlinks. This will make reinstallation easier-as the sway bar will move freely.

Back