Sometimes I wonder if I really should buy a 2019 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sometimes I wonder if I really should buy a 2019 Explorer.

dkean

Reaction score
City, State
south Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6
Just so you know I am retired ford. Ford sends me a check every month. After reading this forum I wonder if I will get a lemon.:( My kids and grand kids have fords. Grandpa has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I probably will but will get an extended warranty. I hope I get one built Tuesday,Wednesday,or Thursday.
I started there in 1964 in the paint department.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember that the members of these type of forums are ones that have problems or asking about a problem, and you will see them all here.

There are thousands of vehicles out there on the road with zero problems

I wonder if you knew my wife's uncle. He started out there too. Bob Clarke.

I would have no hesitation at all.

Peter

I only worked in one plant. It was in Mahwah NJ. After I was vested I quiet and bought a tractor (18 wheeler) and drove coast to coast and border to border for 28 years.

Just remember that the members of these type of forums are ones that have problems or asking about a problem, and you will see them all here.

There are thousands of vehicles out there on the road with zero problems

Agreed. How many people think to come to forums for any product and say, "Hi, I bought XXXX product and everything is working great. Carry on."

You need to do more research than a forum to decide if a vehicle is right for you.

Not getting preachy, just saying that working in the paint department at the the old Mahwah Ford Plant, you must have some interesting stories about all the paint sludge they dumped in a hole in the ground in Ringwood, causing a Superfund sight. I heard it took them a year just to bust up the concrete foundation of that old plant when they went to build the hotel that stands there now.

More people love their Explorers than not. Some of us got painfully afflicted ones (including me), many others got fairly reliable ones.

It's luck of the draw. And it's a car.

Buy it, enjoy it.

Yea I think I would wait 3-6 months into the model year just to see how many TSB come out.

Agreed. How many people think to come to forums for any product and say, "Hi, I bought XXXX product and everything is working great. Carry on."

You need to do more research than a forum to decide if a vehicle is right for you.

I LOVE MY 2015, EXCEPT FOR THE HEADLIGHTS.

Just so you know I am retired ford. Ford sends me a check every month. After reading this forum I wonder if I will get a lemon.:( My kids and grand kids have fords. Grandpa has a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I probably will but will get an extended warranty. I hope I get one built Tuesday,Wednesday,or Thursday.
Why Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday ? Please explain.

I don't think there should be a problem with you getting a Ford if you are in America. Obviously getting a new car shouldn't concern you but down the line eventually any car would break and need repairs and that's when the service or parts etc would be important.
I remember owning a Honda in UK and getting the parts was extremely difficult.
Now I am in the Philippines and facing the same problem with Ford.
maybe you should also look into ford Everest which will soon be in USA under a different name. it's less expensive, less tech which means easier to fix and same sized as the explorer

Why Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday ? Please explain.

An old wives tale if you will. Has no bearing on the quality of builds.

People are on the belief that employees are tired and ready to go home on Fridays and therefore don't pay attention to their work on Fridays. kind of the same with Mondays since it is a startup of production for the week.

Truth be told, neither hold any weight and wish people wouldn't say that crap because then people read it and think it is true.

Most factories run on 4 10 hour shifts and many 6 or 7 days a week. There really is no such thing as M-F anymore. 1 hour lunch breaks and 2 hour shift changes.

Agree with blwnsmoke. Employees are not the problem. They assemble the vehicles. The manufacturer designs and makes the parts or third party's do. Ford transmissions 5r55w-s. 4.0 v6 timing chain issues. Every manufactor has issues with poorly designed parts that the end user (US) will find out about.

You are quite naive! Very uniformed! The car industry ( and others) is a rat race, go go go. Have a friend who worked at one plant for 35 years. You want to take a piss, you need to call a spare relief guy if he’s not already covering some other job. You wait! Plants are huge, washrooms far away a lot of times.
Assembling are car, doing the same job, repetitiously over, and over, 10 hours a day, six, somtimes seven days ( voluntary overtime) for years becomes very monotonous. Apparently you think this type of work is a ‘cake walk’. Shift work, two week days, two nights in itself is a bear, especially in the fall/winter months. You go to work in the dark, and go home in the dark, always in heavy traffic times. You have to have a good working watch, cause if you don’t come back from your 15 coffee break on axact time, the guy who was doing your job( tag relief) is gone to the next guy. Your job not being done, affects the next job which then can’t be done. If the line has to stopped for a ‘fix’ ($$$) guys have been fired he tells me. Production work is a HIGH stress scenario, he didn’t see his family much cause he was shift/working.
‘Friday’night shift most guys he’s telling me would either come in with a 26er, or go out at lunch time (1/2 hr) and race to nearest liquor store. He told me one time he was inline to pay, and noticed a couple of production managers. No words were exchanged! Of course there are others that do ‘other’ stuff than drink. Are you getting the point.
My bud is glad he survived!

The ‘Monday’ comment, always referred to the ‘ hangover day.
And the ‘tired’ quote, like yeah! For a long time he was working12 hour shifts, 82 hours a week, over an hour each way travel time, mabey five ! six hours sleep. No Monday, Tues, everyday...was another day!

An old wives tale if you will. Has no bearing on the quality of builds.

People are on the belief that employees are tired and ready to go home on Fridays and therefore don't pay attention to their work on Fridays. kind of the same with Mondays since it is a startup of production for the week.

Truth be told, neither hold any weight and wish people wouldn't say that crap because then people read it and think it is true.

Most factories run on 4 10 hour shifts and many 6 or 7 days a week. There really is no such thing as M-F anymore. 1 hour lunch breaks and 2 hour shift changes.

Hey, Welcome! Good to see a local on here (I'm in Hammonton)!

I too have a Jeep GC in the stable. To be honest, I like how both drives, a lot. I'm about 500 miles into the Explorer and the car seems fine.

Seems you never worked at a car manufacturing plant but stating what someone else who did told you. No mention of pay - health insurance - retirement benifits 401k . So are you saying workers do bad work because they have to walk a bit to pee??. Read my post the companies are the problem. Here is what I said about the workers ((((((Employees are not the problem))))) I do not believe workers intentionally do bad work. And where did I say the work was a cake walk??. Your friend has told you alot. Did he mention his pension! Does he still get health care. Again I said because of poor designs of components the issue is at the manufacture level.

You are quite naive! Very uniformed! The car industry ( and others) is a rat race, go go go. Have a friend who worked at one plant for 35 years. You want to take a piss, you need to call a spare relief guy if he’s not already covering some other job. You wait! Plants are huge, washrooms far away a lot of times.
Assembling are car, doing the same job, repetitiously over, and over, 10 hours a day, six, somtimes seven days ( voluntary overtime) for years becomes very monotonous. Apparently you think this type of work is a ‘cake walk’. Shift work, two week days, two nights in itself is a bear, especially in the fall/winter months. You go to work in the dark, and go home in the dark, always in heavy traffic times. You have to have a good working watch, cause if you don’t come back from your 15 coffee break on axact time, the guy who was doing your job( tag relief) is gone to the next guy. Your job not being done, affects the next job which then can’t be done. If the line has to stopped for a ‘fix’ ($$$) guys have been fired he tells me. Production work is a HIGH stress scenario, he didn’t see his family much cause he was shift/working.
‘Friday’night shift most guys he’s telling me would either come in with a 26er, or go out at lunch time (1/2 hr) and race to nearest liquor store. He told me one time he was inline to pay, and noticed a couple of production managers. No words were exchanged! Of course there are others that do ‘other’ stuff than drink. Are you getting the point.
My bud is glad he survived!

The ‘Monday’ comment, always referred to the ‘ hangover day.
And the ‘tired’ quote, like yeah! For a long time he was working12 hour shifts, 82 hours a week, over an hour each way travel time, mabey five ! six hours sleep. No Monday, Tues, everyday...was another day!

What the hell are you talking about and why are you rambling on about all this crap when all I said was that factories are not a M-F 8 hour shift job where they are wiped by Friday (5th day of working).

They work 4 shifts normally and usually 10 hours. They work days, they work nights.. they work weekdays and weekends. If I'm working Thurs - Sun, tell me how Friday is a day I don't want my vehicle built because it is day 2 of their work week.. If they work Mon - Thurs, again, tell me how Friday plays into it? Exactly, Friday's don't mean crap and are just a good or just as bad as a Tuesday or a Wednesday.

And you are going to ramble on about "Optional Overtime"?? So they CHOOSE to do it and then you are going to go on a tantrum on how horrible the conditions are.

And I'm so glad that your friend told you all this.. glad you heard it 2nd hand. I've been to one of Ford's factories and watched the assembly line. Many line workers enjoy their job and I talk to many of them every day. Yes it isn't for everyone and repetition like that in under 60 seconds I'm sure gets to you. However, I also wish I made the money they did, the pension they get, the benefits they receive, A/Z plan pricing they get, be able to were anything they want (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, baseball hats, comfy sneakers) while working their job each day.

And don't even cry me a river about going in the dark and leaving in the dark. My wife and I do the same damn thing FIVE days a week during the winter times just like them.

Give me a break and take your rant somewhere else about your FRIEND.

I am sorry but if you are concerned about the vehicle the company which provides your pension is building is yet a different issue. I am proud to say I own a Ford Explorer .. built in America, with American labor. My American brothers and sisters building Americas Great trucks.

Infact interestingly enough my friends, and peers whom drive Audi, Porche and MBenz et all have remarked at what an amazing vehicle the expolorer is ( oh I forgot toyota)

So YES you should not hesitate to PROUDLY by an Explorer!

PS: YEP you might have a problem but that is what a warranty is for. Hopefully you have a good dealer.. Mine is very good what little I have needed them. Anything made can and WILL break....!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi expoman55 I don't know if you were responding to my post or someone else. Always USA purchases but it is getting harded to find particularly clothes.. So I will say I have or had a 1995 Explorer with the 4.0 pushrod engine. Amazing SUV. No issues with engine or trans. Sold it with just under 300,000 miles because it just rotted away. (Vermont salt).Had a 1988 F350 diesel crew cab 4wd. Never had to touch the drive train. Sold it with 396,000 miles because (yep Vermont salt). 2000 Navigator (quickest SUV I every driven) sold for same reason. Now I have a 2010 mountaineer 4.0 mint condition low miles that does not ever see winter weather (3 season vehicle). My issue is with all car makes. Beings this is a ford forum I use ford as an example. 1997 - 2010 ford 4.0 sohc timing chain 13 years with known issue never completely resolved. Transmission 5r55w/s known issue for many years but never resolved yet were still installed. I have never owned an import and never will. All my vehicles from age 16 to now age 64 have been American. I have had GM / Ford / Chrysler and cannot speak bad about any of them. I think car makers want to give us the latest and greatest but are turning out complex engines and transmissions. Now we are heading into 9 speed automatic transmissions. Get the 4-5 speeds working perfect 95% of the time with normal service. Stop putting in service manuals trans fluid change at 150,000 miles that is nuts. Give back the dip sticks. I hear some BMW's do not have oil dip sticks but a computer will tell you when oil is low. Give us both.. It's not about the workers. I started my own repair shop back in the 60's. It was enjoyable to repair cars back then. Were they perfect not hardly. But a Chevy 283-350 or a Ford 289-302 with normal service would hit 100,000 miles and not brake a sweat doing it. Sorry for going on.

Back