Sometype of misfire/cylinder fail? help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sometype of misfire/cylinder fail? help please

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
Ok, this past weekend I did the Seafoam for the first time (gas, oil, and brake booster), that may have something to do with this. Since then I've run the explorer down to empty (from half-tank) and filled up last night (for 33$ woohoo! I can afford to drive again!) and on the way to school this morning I ran into a problem. I'll do my best to explain this, but, when hitting the gas from a stand still the engine didn't make any harsh or noticble sounds, it just felt like a one or two cylinders were just, not popping if you will, kinda as if the gas going to those cylinders was water. It took a little bit more pedal pressure and a few more RPMs to correct itself. It didn't feel like the timing or anything was off, it just felt like a cylinder was underpowered or something. No clicking noises or awkward sounds were detected, but definentally felt like a missfiring cylinder. AND the engine light went on, almost forgot that.

I DO have one cylinder that burns hotter than the rest, but it makes a loud click or knock when the spark plug begins to go bad, and all I do is replace the plug, but I just got new plugs and new wires not 2k miles ago, so i'm almost sure as heck it's not that. What could this be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sea foam can and will in some cases foul a spark plug when using it through the intake manifold. If your check engine light is on. It will be a P0300 range code. P0300 is random misfire P0301 is misfire cylinder 1, P0302 is misfire cylinder 2, P0303 is misfire cylinder 3, and so on. If you pull the codes you won't have to pull all your plugs trying to find the culprit.

Sea foam can and will in some cases foul a spark plug when using it through the intake manifold. If your check engine light is on. It will be a P0300 range code. P0300 is random misfire P0301 is misfire cylinder 1, P0302 is misfire cylinder 2, P0303 is misfire cylinder 3, and so on. If you pull the codes you won't have to pull all your plugs trying to find the culprit.

that sounds like a plan. but i must say, it didn't make the sound that a foul plug makes... it was almost like a laggy feeling. nonetheless, what type of device can I hook up to the truck? whats the name I mean? I kinda want to buy one, but if its rediculous then nevermind, and if so, anyone in richmond got one I could use right fast? :)

that sounds like a plan. but i must say, it didn't make the sound that a foul plug makes... it was almost like a laggy feeling. nonetheless, what type of device can I hook up to the truck? whats the name I mean? I kinda want to buy one, but if its rediculous then nevermind, and if so, anyone in richmond got one I could use right fast? :)

The device is called an OBD-2 scanner / code reader.

I believe that Autozone rents them out (you have to put down a 50$ deposit, I think), if you have one around you ... I think that they're about 100 bucks to buy a good one, though.

Back