Son of a Gun!!! How big is to big for flat repair??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Son of a Gun!!! How big is to big for flat repair???

Well after posting somewhat recently with Q’s about the tires I had purchased, and getting a flat shortly after. All has been good.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107040&highlight=flat+repair

It happened again! This time a friggin spark plug was sticking straight up in the middle of a buzy intersection and I'll I heard was a big thump, clunk clunk clunk clunk...Pulled over and I had a spark plug with the end of the electrode stuck inside. Yeah this kind of weird crap happens. Just polished wheels and rubber after neglected trail/4xing (stock) cleaning...

Do you think the size of the spark plug OD is repairable? I can see one wire from the ply. Right in from the tread, not the runoffs. Pulled it out instant flat in about 5 secs.

Thnx...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

honestly, what do you think?

It can probably be done, but it's definately not the best thing to do.

I got a half inch bolt stuck through the tread on on of my tires. I had it patched, it is holding air. then I bought a new tire, an I have a full size spare.

unclemeat said:
I got a half inch bolt stuck through the tread on on of my tires. I had it patched, it is holding air. then I bought a new tire, an I have a full size spare.

Thnx for the responce...

Will take it in and see what they say, but what a pita to begin with. Suppose to have bought "new" tires. Their crap already. :banghead:

Yes, it can be repaired, but here's what will happen-

The hole is too big. Eventually, water/air will get between the belts, tread, and cord. The belts will rust out around the hole, and either one of two things will happen...

1- It will develop a big bulging knot on the tread. Massive shaking while going down the road. As the air pocket works its way back, it will reach a point of no return and the tread/belt will separate from the carcass while going down the road

2- It will develop a big bulging knot on the tread. It will eventually leak down overnight. Hopefully it will get to the point were it will leak too fast to be worth dealing with before it blows out

My opinion- write this tire off because its done for.

Write off a tire for a spark plug hole?

Not me - not until it really did what James T suggests...

I would pull the tire from the rim, and buff out the interior around the plug, then use one of the patches with the plug attached. You pull the plug through the tread and vulcanize the patch to the inside of the tire sort of like an inner tube repair. It should hold up for a long time - maybe permanent.

I used to ram things into the 44's on our work truck all the time (we were in a firewood business running around in the woods) and fixed them that way and they always held up great.

Here is a link to what I am talking about:

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merch...e_Code=P&Product_Code=PA-008&Category_Code=PA

plug-patches are the best way to go, they seal the inside and outside of the tire so air doesn't get in between the ply's causing ply separation or broken belts and whatnot

oh and another thing,

if the hole is too big to repair, you could always put a big boot patch over the hole and then put a radial inner tube in it

Thanks so much for the informative info on this guys... :thumbsup:

I just hate the thought of putting out another 200 candian bones to replace a tire that hasn't even worn any tread yet. I think I'll be able to get this thing fixed by the sounds of it. Also, the hole is smaller then the actual spark plug that went in, but still not your every day average nail. I feel a lot better now. :burnout:

Will post back with results after finding a trustable shop.

Plugging tires

Hello guys, I am a Rural Mail Carrier, and I have had at least 50 flat tires in 14 years.
After a couple of years as a sub(RCA), I learned to carry tools to fix a flat, and an air pump. I found the one and only self sealing plugs, as part of a kit, with the best tools, for about $20.

Since then I have never changed a flat tire on my route, except once. I can fix a flat in less time than you can change a tire. I removed the spare from the trunk to make more room for mail.

The one tire that I could not fix was on my 93 Explorer Limited 4x4. I ran through some loose gravel, and picked up a LARGE rock. Rocks are the worst because they break apart while you are trying to remove them. Anyway, two plugs would not seal the tire. That was three months ago. Two months ago I caught another rock in a front left tire. Two plugs sealed it, and it does not leak.
The tires on my mail vehicle do not get old enough to develop the problems that others have mentioned.
I have never used more than one plug in a tire, until these latest tires and the rocks.

I think it is safe to say that if one plug will stop the leak, you have a great chance of not having any problems. More than one is not ideal.

The magic is really in the plug. I would never use any other plug besides the ones that I have. They use no glue; they are self vulcanizing. Besides the tire which a rock destroyed, I have NEVER had a leak. They are permanent.

Patching is the best solution. That would be my choice for a valuable car or tire. My personal use of plugs is obviously work related, but you all have given sound advice. Ask me and I'll find the brand name of the plugs.
:smoke: DW

I patched a hole made by a leaf spring on a bet once. the patch plugs are truly the best. just have someone that knows what they are doing do the job. AS long as you use vulcanizing cement and buff the inside prior to the job it can hold for a long time.
disclaimer. the tire with the spring hole was never used on road. mearly to prove a point.

where did you buy the tires from ... most new tires come with a road hazard warranty when you get them mounted and balanced now.... i know sams club will fix all flats free and if they cant fix it they'll give you a new tire up untill you wear away 50 percent of the tire......

97BlackX5.0 writes"...untill you wear away 50 percent of the tire..."

Interesting how flats don't happen until you get below 50% tread.

I've had less than 10% of my flats when I have more than 50% tread. Unless you live on bad roads, or around construction areas, you shouldn't have flats until you have almost worn out the tires.

Just thought I'd update this topic after a very pro-longed repair. End's up that a plug was good enough to stop the leak. LOL...but in the opposing side of the same tire, there was a nail stuck in sideways without puncturing a hole. Thanks for your input!!! I guess I really needed sense of comfort that I could even repair a tire that had a spark plug causing the flat.

Cheers!

Final word of caution,JMHO, a tread separation in your case is a potential, if it occurs at 70 MPH, it will not be alot of fun

I would have listened to James.. after all, he does work for Cooper.

I would be hesitant about running a repaired tire such as that at Expressway speeds. Too much heat, too much flex, too much stress, in my opinion. If you must, run it on a rear wheel. You'll have more control if it fails.

jsun, good luck with that tire. If it was repairable with one plug, than the hole wasn't very big. The potential of a blow out with a repaired tire is always higher.

An accepted rule of thumb is that if one plug will stop the leak, then the chances of a failure due to the repair is minimal.
Everyone's suggestions are saying to be cautious, and minimize the potential for danger.
One of the best things anyone can do with a repaired tire is to check and maintain the air pressure constantly. Do not allow the tire to ever get more than a couple of psi low, and keep the pressure on the high side(within 5psi of maximum).
Best of luck to all,
DW

CDW6212R said:
jsun, good luck with that tire. If it was repairable with one plug, than the hole wasn't very big. The potential of a blow out with a repaired tire is always higher.

An accepted rule of thumb is that if one plug will stop the leak, then the chances of a failure due to the repair is minimal.
Everyone's suggestions are saying to be cautious, and minimize the potential for danger.
One of the best things anyone can do with a repaired tire is to check and maintain the air pressure constantly. Do not allow the tire to ever get more than a couple of psi low, and keep the pressure on the high side(within 5psi of maximum).
Best of luck to all,
DW

My thoughts exactly! I appreciate "everyones" concern with this, and you have made me think hard about driving with the repaired tire on the truck. I have heard most people say it's not a big deal to have a flat fixed by plugging it. That was the original concern I had with my first flat with these exact tires, and being so premature just within weeks of buying brand new rubber. I definetly feel that "if" the tire was unable to be repaired by a single plug, then yes...I would prob would have tossed it, but because it was repairable by a single plug, it has raised my confidence driving with it on.

I'm tired of flats!!! 9 or 10 of them in less then two years of owning this truck, and two of them are with ~4 month old rubber :banghead: That's why I decided to replace the old ones and they still had a year left or so on them. Too many plugs for my confidence. So I bought these Yoko's

Thanks for all your input!
:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back