• Register Today It's free!

Son's 1997 wont start

dlee

Reaction score
City, State
Chapin,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer EB
My son's 97 Explorer quit running. I checked the fuel pressure (39psi), changed the crankshaft sensor, visually checked fire looked ok but changed coil and got no change. Spayed staring fluid in intake but still no start. I can hear the fuel pump energize. Checked all fuses and relays still no start. Engine turns ok but have not checked compression. Any ideas what I may have overlooked? :help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a V6 SOHC?
Might want to do a test on the Camshaft Position Sensor, and the Throttle Position Sensor. Also check the IAC. And the compression also.

It is a 4.0 SOHC. Have been searching on how to test the camshaft sensor? Have removed and cleaned the IAC. Have not the checked the Throttle Position Sensor nor the compression. If I have a bad timing chain/guide issue, will I have to check the compression on all cylinders or will one bad on either side indicate a problem?

The Haynes manual has a test procedure for the CMP sensor. It's pretty simple IIRC you just pull it out, and connect your probes to it's connector, then wave a metal object past it...not a very likely culprit, but I can relate I had a no-start on my SOHC a month or two back. Fuel pressure was good in all three modes. All sensors checked out. Had spark. Coil checked out. Still no start. I was stranded in a remote area, and so when the sun went down, I took a nap. Next day, I put the battery back in, and it has been running ever since. I have no idea why, other than maybe my CKP sensor was so gunked up with power steering fluid that maybe disconnecting that, and cleaning it, may have helped.

Man, this thing has me stumped! It has a new Crank sensor and I disconnected the battery for 30-40 minutes after installation but still wont run. Even starting fluid will not make it run. I plan on chencking compression in the next couple of days. If the cam sensor is not a likely culprit, what else could it be?

Do you have spark at the plugs?

Yes I have spark at the plugs. Does the 97 have a security system that would interfer with starting?

Even starting fluid will not make it run.
If it wount just start for a second with starting fluid, then your missing spark or internal engine timing is off.

Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

On my 2000 PATS disables the fuel injectors. I think PATS was implemented in 1998.

Bad compression on all cylinders in one bank means slipped/broken chain for that bank. Bad compression on both banks means slipped/broken primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain. Make sure ignition wires #5 & #6 are not swapped - they are not sequential on the coil.

I have a spark at the plugs but wont some much as hiccup with starting fluid. I didn't have a compression tester but am buying one today. If I lost internal timing will I have to test all cylinders to verify, cause the back cylinder on the passenger side is hard to get to.

When you pulled the plug was it wet? If you've been cranking it a few times and it's not firing at all the plugs should be soaked. If they're not wet, it's not getting fuel. I'd crank it over for a few seconds and pull a couple plugs on each bank.

When I looked the plugs were not dripping wet! Why wont it at least try to start when using starting fluid? It has 39psi at the rail and I can hear the pump initialize. Any other ideas.

Are you sure you pulled a couple plugs and had good spark? If you have spark and hit the throttle body with some ether it should at least fire.

Yea, but I am going to check plugs again tomorrow and check the compression.

Has the ECT sensor on the thermostat housing been checked?

on the passenger side, behind the kick panel there is a fuel shut off try reseting it.

I got around to checking the compression today. Driver side had 150 psi but passenger side had 0 psi. Seems like I have an internal timing chain / guide issue on the rear of the engine.

Back