Son's Truck no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Son's Truck no start

jamesholland

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford sport trac
Just spent hours pushing my son's truck off the road and trying to figure out why it won't start! he had just left a driveway and was speeding up when the engine died and would not restart! 2000 sport trac 4x4 4.0L, over 200K miles. Battery is good, fuel pump kicks on and runs for a few seconds, engine cranks but no start, scanned for codes - no codes! Help please!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coil, crankshaft position sensor, etc. If it's getting fuel then start checking for it firing.

Does the engine sound "normal" while you're cranking it? By normal, I mean does it sound like it always has, without ticking, clicking, grinding, etc.....

My experience with ignition systems was back in the day when all you needed was a wrench, screwdriver, and a paper match! I was a diesel mechanic for over 24 years. This electronic / computer controlled stuff ain't my thing.;) I have scoured the internet trying to locate the crank position sensor, cam sensor. When I look on his engine all I find is a sensor located on the front of the crank located just behind what we used to call the harmonic balancer / pully, it sits just above a collar with teeth on it that is pressed on the crank. Is that what I'm looking for? Going to head over there with a spare spark plug and check for spark, will be back in a few!

Yes it sounds normal while cranking, I was worried that a timing chain jumped or a guide snapped off so I was listening for strange engine noise. spare spark plug test revealed that there is no spark, the coil pack is only 1 month old, I did find a cam sensor mounted in the valve cover and pulled it, end was covered in metal dust so I cleaned it off and did the test still no spark. If a cam sensor goes bad wouldn't it throw a code? Scanned it 5 times yesterday, no codes!

Yes it sounds normal while cranking, I was worried that a timing chain jumped or a guide snapped off so I was listening for strange engine noise. spare spark plug test revealed that there is no spark, the coil pack is only 1 month old, I did find a cam sensor mounted in the valve cover and pulled it, end was covered in metal dust so I cleaned it off and did the test still no spark. If a cam sensor goes bad wouldn't it throw a code? Scanned it 5 times yesterday, no codes!

No spark. What was the reason you replaced the coil pack?

A month ago he was going to work and the engine started missing real bad, so when he got back we drove it to the auto parts store and they scanned it, misfire on #1 and #4 cylinders, pulled those plugs and checked them, tested spark and found very week spark, replaced coil pack and it ran great till yesterday!

Only replaced the coils and not the plugs? Which coils did you replace and are they they same ones causing the problem now (not sparking)?

Back