Sony/Alpine headunits with Unilink - who's got em? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony/Alpine headunits with Unilink - who's got em?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone, I have had my sony xplod headunit for a few years now. I just got a Dell mp3 player, and one thing that really annoys me is that, even though the headunit DOES have AUX IN connectors, i cant use them without a unilink device to turn them on! Great design Sony :rolleyes:

So I was wondering how many people have this type of headunit and have this same problem?

Being an electrical engineer, I decided I want to build a solution. Its basically a device that plus into the unilink port and tells the headunit to turn the inputs on. At the same time, it can communicate with the mp3 player (in my case a dell dj, but would work with any mp3 player supporting microsoft's new plays for sure protocol) and allow you to use the headunit controls to control the mp3 player, while charging the player at the same time, via USB.

I was going to build a prototype and I was wondering if anyone with one of the higher-end sony headunits (the ones that have graphical displays and multiline text) would like to be beta tester so I can test how it works with the different displays. PM or email me if youre interested. No cost to you, no money paid to you, but you get a free working prototype version to keep.

Back