Sony Sound System VS Platnium System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sony Sound System VS Platnium System

ajpum65

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas Fort Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2016 Explorer Sport and love the vehicle! I am an audio snob and noticed the new 2016 Platinum has an upgraded Sony system to 500 watts as opposed to 390 on my Sport. Both have 12 speaker set-ups. The only advantage with the 500w is clear phase and Live acoustics? It appears that those two features comes with the amplifier but both systems have the exact same speakers?
Can anyone confirm this? I downloaded a pdf of the specs on the 500w system available in the platinum but I can't find any specs on the 390 watt system in the Sport and Limited models.
Thanks!!
AJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's interesting in how they come up with 12 speakers:

Two 6x9's in the front doors

Two 1" dome tweeters in the front doors

One 80 millimeter center speaker

Two 6.5 coaxial speakers in the second set of doors

Two 80 millimeter speakers in the third row

One subwoofer system (12 liter enclosure with an 8" driver)

There are ten speakers, two of which are coaxial, therefore have their own tweeters, hence the reason it's a total of 12.

Hi, all. I'm (im)patiently waiting to order a 2017 Platinum and I just came across this article:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/sonic-booms-putting-8-of-the-best-car-audio-systems-to-the-test/

Can anyone with a Platinum comment on the concerns it brings up? It doesn't worry me much, because I don't consider myself to be an audiophile (I find the factory 390 watt 12 speaker Sony system in my Fusion Sport to be pretty decent), so I probably wouldn't notice any of these things aside from door panel rattle.

Also, the fact that a Ford audio system was even included in an article with Bentley and other high-end brands is pretty awesome and must mean it's legit.

Thanks!
Dave

Hi, all. I'm (im)patiently waiting to order a 2017 Platinum and I just came across this article:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/sonic-booms-putting-8-of-the-best-car-audio-systems-to-the-test/

Can anyone with a Platinum comment on the concerns it brings up? It doesn't worry me much, because I don't consider myself to be an audiophile (I find the factory 390 watt 12 speaker Sony system in my Fusion Sport to be pretty decent), so I probably wouldn't notice any of these things aside from door panel rattle.

Also, the fact that a Ford audio system was even included in an article with Bentley and other high-end brands is pretty awesome and must mean it's legit.

Thanks!
Dave

Ford needs to allow the user to select more settings... I test drove two Platinums and I agree with their review that some of my songs didn't sound right with the software messing with it. I wish they put the Lincoln system in it instead. That system is really on point.

Yes the Revel System would have been nice...

I think the system sounds pretty good. I commented in another thread about it being the best system I have ever heard in a Ford. The fact it is even mentioned in the article above says a lot. Many years ago Sony was a big dog in car audio with the Mobile ES line. Today they still produce decent home audio so it does not surprise me that they can make good stuff.

As far as the concerns mentioned in the article:
1. No way to turn the system off (that's true and would have been nice if you could; however, I doubt I ever would if available)

2. The sound is projected to both the left and the right A-Pillars giving you the sense the musicians are in front of you... (I think this is an area the system shines, it sounds decent)

3. I have never listed from the rear seats, but I have been told it sounds great by everyone who has been in the EXP, both 2nd and 3rd rows. Would have been nice if they used seperates in the 2nd row seating area as this would have given better definition and instrument range.

4. I have never heard the front door panels rattle, but that could be due to the music I listen to. I am not into rapp or big bass tunes. I listen to country, rock, heavy metal, electronic, and jazz. All have sounded great. The CD player and High Definition Radio sound the best. I have noticed that the USB (MP3, MP4) and Satelite music drop in clarity and definition.

" it was surprisingly flawed, lacking deep bass reach and dynamic impact. Add to this the poor soundstaging for front passengers, the veiled, muddled sound for the back-seat passengers, and an obvious and loud panel resonance at 60 hertz, and you’re not left with a lot
to like.”

I'm not sure I fully agree with this assessment, but based on what it was up against it most likely was true. This system was probably by far the cheapest of the group with the lowest amount of power.

Yeah, I'm guessing a lot of the negative points in the comparison are due to the higher priced systems it was up against, as chicagoslick mentioned. I assume I'll enjoy it since it seems to be the best Ford audio system so far. Thanks for the responses!

I'm not all that impressed with it, but it IS better than the one from the 2013 Sport I had.

Yeah, it's not what you buy the explorer for, but it isn't terrible. I think the sound in our SHO sounds better. I've bought the shaker upgrades in my last couple Shelbys and mustangs. They suck. I spent a couple grand upgrading my Raptor speakers, custom set up. It was better than the Mustangs, but I drive it a lot, and it has the room to upgrade.

I might end up doing the same here. Swap out speakers and amps.

Well I took time yesterday listening and trying different types of music. It seams to me the Sony engineers were pushing towards 70's, 80's, 90's rock as the main focus of the sound. The system sounds great when you play, John Cougar, REO Speedwagon, Genesis, Foreigner, Led Zeppelin, Power Station, Duran Duran, Van Halen, Styx, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, and Bruce Springsteen (which I recently watched the River Tour Live in concert).

Additionally, I played the Cure, Everything but the Girl, Sam Hunt, Kenney Chesney, Zac Brown, just to name some others. They also sound pretty good.

All above were played either through CD or USB Drive.

Then I tried high definition radio playing big bass stuff (Not stuff I listen to). Based on my current settings in the system I had to turn down the bass or I would get muffled sound or breaking sound. This system unlike the other Sony systems I have listened to in Fords does no attenuate the sound much. With that said, you can overdrive the speakers causing bad sound. An 8" subwoofer is just not capable of playing big bass notes. The system would need a 12" subwoofer with at least 500 watts more power to achieve the sound needed with big bass notes.

This is where more power, more and better speakers come into play. The 500 watts this system has is just not enough.

My final assessment on the system is that it is a decent entry level audiophile system. Nothing more or nothing less. Also, my guess is that they tuned the system to the type of people that would typically buy this vehicle. I would bet the demographics would be middle aged women (40-60).

I know this is an old thread but did anyone upgrade any of the speakers or amp on the Sony 500 watt or 390 watt system? If so what speakers did wind up using? Amps?

Thanks!
Dave
I have the 2017 Platinum and the sound is AWESOME. I don't get no door rattle and in the report it states that the door rattled, well it could be something not tight in the door loose panel clip, loose speaker etc... I love my Platinum....Go get it.

I have a 2014 explorer sport and half the time when u start it the stero lights up like it on but nothing comes thru the speakers. Then u shut it off for a few mins and start again and it works. Can anyone tell me what is wrong wit it. Much appreciated

Simon, thank you.... I'm very happy with the over-all sound quality and staging. When it comes to searching I'm with you, I can never find what I'm looking for, unless............... it's the 8th Monday of the month.

I have a 2014 explorer sport and half the time when u start it the stero lights up like it on but nothing comes thru the speakers. Then u shut it off for a few mins and start again and it works. Can anyone tell me what is wrong wit it. Much appreciated
Update needed and or pull fuse and reboot system.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
When you say "shut it off for a few minutes and start again" are you referring to the vehicle? If so, have you tried just turning the radio OFF and back ON to see if that works as well? When it appears to be on but no sound, can you change stations? Are you still under warranty?

Peter

Hey folks,

As some of you may know by now, I've ordered my 2017 Limited a couple of weeks ago and won't actually get if for another 2 months or so.

This gives me an opportunity to read up on various topics and issues on this forum...and I really appreciate this wonderful resource.

While reading about the possibility of ford switching to B&O sound systems down the road, some of you commented on how satisfied you were with the 500w Sony system.

Any comments on the regular 350w Sony Systems? sounded great when I checked out the limited on test drives, but you know how that goes.... so much information being taken in at the same time that you don't truly get to really listen to it.

Would love to hear your thoughts....

Hey folks,

As some of you may know by now, I've ordered my 2017 Limited a couple of weeks ago and won't actually get if for another 2 months or so.

This gives me an opportunity to read up on various topics and issues on this forum...and I really appreciate this wonderful resource.

While reading about the possibility of ford switching to B&O sound systems down the road, some of you commented on how satisfied you were with the 500w Sony system.

Any comments on the regular 350w Sony Systems? sounded great when I checked out the limited on test drives, but you know how that goes.... so much information being taken in at the same time that you don't truly get to really listen to it.

Would love to hear your thoughts....
I was happy with that system in my 2011 Limited but many members did not seem to be. There are several threads on audio upgrades members did to that system with the more common being replacing the speakers/woofers. Here is just one of them; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/sony-sound-system-vs-platnium-system.438493/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back