Sony Sound

mwoods269

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
All,

Over all the sony 12 speaker 390 watt sound is OK however I would like to increase the volume potential.

It is my understanding that full range is not delivered to any of the 12 speakers which prevents you from installing an amplifier up range of the 12 speakers. It is also my understanding that you would need a signal processor after the Sony amp (under the center console) to pull together full range to send to an aftermarket amplifier and finally to the speakers. (which you would probably upgrade at that point anyway)

If all I wanted was a little more punch from the bass I could amplify a signal pulled from the rear and pop in a sub. If this were the case I would be a little concerned that my highs would be over powered with bass.

I guess I just expected more from this system.

Just looking for solutions that anyone may have implemented or knowledge you might have on the topic. Not looking for your opinion versus mine of the Sony system or anything other than solutions that have been implemented or knowledge of the current system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All,

Over all the sony 12 speaker 390 watt sound is OK however I would like to increase the volume potential.

It is my understanding that full range is not delivered to any of the 12 speakers which prevents you from installing an amplifier up range of the 12 speakers. It is also my understanding that you would need a signal processor after the Sony amp (under the center console) to pull together full range to send to an aftermarket amplifier and finally to the speakers. (which you would probably upgrade at that point anyway)

If all I wanted was a little more punch from the bass I could amplify a signal pulled from the rear and pop in a sub. If this were the case I would be a little concerned that my highs would be over powered with bass.

I guess I just expected more from this system.

Just looking for solutions that anyone may have implemented or knowledge you might have on the topic. Not looking for your opinion versus mine of the Sony system or anything other than solutions that have been implemented or knowledge of the current system.

I understand what you're saying and agree although I have no input. But I do know that I've owned an 09 F-150, 12 F-150, 12 F-350 and this Ex has the best Sony sound system of them all. They all sound like a serious piece of garbage in a tin can. Especially the satellite radio, makes it sound even more horrible.

Agree. It will cost 1500 + to improve it. :( and Ford probably put $5000 into making it lol

See I don't get that! Did Ford not listen to this system before hand?! The One isn't completely just terrible in the Ex but the one in the F150 sure is...

All,

If all I wanted was a little more punch from the bass I could amplify a signal pulled from the rear and pop in a sub.
You already have a sub. I guess you could look to replace it with another one. I believe there are posts on installing a sub in the Modified Explorer threads. You would likely get more help there.
This has come up before regarding sound quality although I'm quite happy with mine. There are a few young guys around here where you can hear their car coming a good 10-15 seconds before you see it.

Peter

Back