• Register Today It's free!

Sony system speaker location ??

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
Alright where are they hiding all the speakers??? I have the limited 2011 EX and can only find 10 speakers and it is suppose to have 12.

Here is the location of the speakers i have found so far.
2 speakers in each front door. [total of 4 in front doors]
1 center speaker in dashboard.
2 speakers in each rear door.[total of two in rear doors]
1 subwoofer behind third row seat on pasenger side kick panel.
2 speakers above rear hatch.

That makes 10 speakers accounted for,but cannot find the remaining 2 speakers. Its a mystery does anyone on the forum who have the limited know where they are at ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if the Sony has them in the same location as the Premium plus, but my last two speakers (which I had trouble finding at first) are located in the sides of the vehicle near the 3rd row seats.

Are they in the top front doors toward the front of the car? I remember there being an area that looked like a speaker there, but since mine is at the dealer I can't check for sure.

Oh never mind you already counted two in each front door. oops
But you did put two in each rear door then said 2 total. Are there two in each rear door for a total of 4?

How do you guys like the sound of the Sony system? Will I see an improvement over my 2007 Eddie Bauer set-up?

Get my Limited on 2/23!

Sorry, but I must be blind or something. I can only count ten in my Ltd. My count is as follows:
5 in the front
2 in the second row
2 up behind the second row
and the sub woofer in the back.
I don't see the additional 2 in the third row area.
Unless the are locate behind in the cargo area, there is an area there with slat openings but it doesn't look like a speaker (s).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There are two speakers above the rear hatch on my limited. I was not aware of two speakers above the second row seat. If they are there than all 12 speakers are accounted for. I will have to go out and check my car to see if i have the the speakers above the second row seats. I cant believe i could have missed them on my original inspection of the vehicle.

As to the sound of the sony system, it is not great for my ears. I have a 2004 eddie bauer explorer with the stock JBL sound system and it much better than my new 2011 limited sony system.

The bass is muddy and not tight and crisp like the JBL system. The midrange and highs are okay but it really lacks low end crispness and tightness. I was dissapointed with the systm and prefer the JBL system in my old explorer.

My apologies that should have said two above the third row seat not second row. Soooo.... we are only counting ten. Hmmmmm. They must have hid the other two. Would that be considered false advertising?

I've looked all over that vehicle and can only find 10. Have even searched the net. Says there is supposed to be 12 speakers, can only find 10. Just sent an email to Ford customer service asking to tell me where the locations of the speakers are. My luck there probably right in plain site.

good luck, there are only ten, but ford has not comment.

Ahh, I see they have the tweeters and the woofers mounted in the second row seat doors. That answers the question I believe.

High power coaxial speakers with polypropylene (woofers) AND soft dome (tweeters)

Thanks kblee

two way in back

I'm not sure if with all the back and forth comments if you guys know about the two by the back hatch? Sorry if you do.

If you were sitting in the 3rd row seats but facing towards the rear of the car, there are two panels were the seat belts exit out from their fasteners. There is a speaker in each of those panels.

where are the 12 speakers located in explorer limited

I recently purchased a 2014 Explorer Limited with the Sony 12 speaker audio system. I can only find 10 speakers. Could there be two speakers under one speaker cover?

I recently purchased a 2014 Explorer Limited with the Sony 12 speaker audio system. I can only find 10 speakers. Could there be two speakers under one speaker cover?
Welcome to the Forum Mary Jane.:wavey:
A quick search brought up this thread and I have moved your post to it.

Peter

Back