Sooo.... about these TPMSs on our 4th gen explorers... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sooo.... about these TPMSs on our 4th gen explorers...

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
I just had to get a new (used) replacement wheel for my newly acquired 2010 EB, because the front driver's side wheel had a crack in it (wouldn't hold air). When I picked up the used unit from the yard, I was a bit taken aback by the strap in the middle of the wheel cavity with the blue box. I asked what it was, and he told me "that's the TPMS sensor." I looked around the other side and sure enough, there was no TPMS on the stem. I've never seen a setup like this, although admittedly, I am only 3 or 4 family cars into TPMS land. My wife's '07 Jag, my daughter #1's 2010 Fusion, and Daughter #2's 2012 Focus, and although I have never actually seen any of them in person, I have shopped for replacements on line. They all look like this:
osc-0315s-r_6.jpg

Here is what ours look like:

TPMS_0.jpg

Apparently it was no big deal to my shop guy who mounted and balanced my new wheel for me today. It works.
Who can tell us (me) about our setup? Is it going to be a huge PITA to replace them when the batteries run down? How long do they last? Did we get screwed with having these instead of those? Can you switch to the other style/would it even work? If I want a spare set of offroad wheels and tires, can I get a spare set of these for that? Do they have to be programmed? Do they come loose in the tire if the tech didn't tighten the band good enough?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple answer to most of your questions is yes. For replacement of both styles the tire has to come off. Batteries are supposed to last at least 5 years my originals are going on 8 years on my winter set of wheels. You can switch to the valve stem style if you want. In my opinion the stem style is more likely to get damaged when the tire is removed but that also depends on the person replacing your tires. The sensors need to be programmed to the vehicle in order to work. I have had only one problem with the band style and that was the band actually broke and the sensor was banging around in the tire but the sensor was fine.

Ok now onto sensors for another set of wheels. What I did a few years ago was buy orange electronics valve stem sensors with a programming tool that can copy the original sensor codes and program them to the new sensors for my summer set of wheels. The nice thing about it is I dont have to reprogram the sensors every spring and late fall when I switch wheels. I have had no problems with the tpms light comming on or any messages except once last year I had a message for a sensor problem but after I started the car again it never came back.

Hopefully that helps.

My 06 was built 08/05 so going on almost 13 years on original rims and sensors with batteries.

Back