SOS! 2006 Explorer Complete Dash Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOS! 2006 Explorer Complete Dash Removal

nastyhasky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Okay so here's the deal... I lost something very important in the dash. I haven't found anything on here that will help me get past the stage I'm at now, or any threads that show how to completely remove the dash. At this point, the dash is completely unmounted. The problem I'm having now is that I cannot take the dash off because it is getting caught on the gear shifter. Not just the handle part, but the whole assembly. So, I unbolted it and separated the rod that goes down to the transmission, but further down on that rod there is a clip that attaches to the bottom of the plastic housing on the shifter unit and I cant for the life of me get it to come off, and the whole shifter unit is stuck there, preventing me from getting the dash off. I have to go out of town in two days for thanksgiving, so any help would get me where I need to be for the holidays, and I'd appreciate that :)

20151123_175142_zpsmaaydxkf.jpg

20151123_175223_zpsssjyhxas.jpg

20151123_175200_zps5kvakpoo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's somewhat like a U clip with legs. Gently pry out on the legs and lift up on the clip at the same time.

Used on 2005-2009 mustangs, newer escape, etc.

Google " Ford shifter cable clip for 2005 mustang"

Part # 4C3Z-7H181-AA

Update! I was able to get the clip off. After that I took out the shifter assembly and was still unable to get the dash to come off so I threw in the towel and put it back together until somebody posts something showing me how to completely remove the dash on a 4th gen. I believe all that was still holding it in place at that point was wires so I didn't want to go any further until I knew where to go next.

Have you tried the console disassembly procedure sticky posted at the top of the stock 06-10 home page for what you need?

Back