• Register Today It's free!

Sound after sitting a while

Tritonx100

Reaction score
City, State
Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer st
After sitting for a while when you go to open the door does anyone her a mechanical sound like something moving?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I hear a bunch of sounds for about 5 minutes after I shut it down. I can sit in a chair just staring at it with everything off and it sounds like solenoids and crap activating etc. I hear the same thing when you go to open the door. It's like all these computers are waking up and making a ton of racket.

Yes, I hear a bunch of sounds for about 5 minutes after I shut it down. I can sit in a chair just staring at it with everything off and it sounds like solenoids and crap activating etc. I hear the same thing when you go to open the door. It's like all these computers are waking up and making a ton of racket.
So should we be concerned?

Opening the doors I'd say no. Because there are many things that need to turn on (no expert by any means). I just question the sounds once you shut the vehicle off.

At first I thought to myself maybe the fobs are too close to the vehicle (they hang on a key hook about 7 feet from the vehicle). But never had this problem with my 11 and don't think it is staying awake because of that. After all, it's supposed to shut down everything after 10 minutes (battery save).

One thing I did notice though was when I was airing down the tires because the PSI from the factory was way too high, I had the radio on with doors open and dash on(full accessory mode on) so I could monitor the psi on the dash and in less than 5 minutes, the battery save mode came on and was going to shut the radio off.

It was pretty much the same warning the 5th gens would get once the battery ran down low enough. So I am questioning even more if all these sounds and **** is keeping the vehicle alive all day/night long.

Too early to tell and I think we need more people to check theirs out as well and report back.

After sitting for a while when you go to open the door does anyone her a mechanical sound like something moving?
I hear the same in my 2017 Explorer. It's particularly noticeable because I park in my garage. I believe I also heard it in my previous vehicle. I figure it is just the vehicle 'waking up', so to speak.

Peter

I hear the same thing and was wondering the same thing... so glad others are noticing it too

Same, lots of little things going on in the background, I suspect they are related to evaporative emissions control or some such.

I keep waiting for the thing to turn into a transformer. Not really. The noises used to concern me but I've gotten so used to it as being normal. I figure it's connecting and disconnecting the anti theft features. Listen to it when you use the Fordpass to lock and unlock the doors. It's fascinating.

Speaking of things turning on and off...When I shut the engine down the accessory power remains on for as long as an hour. I like that but I don't believe it should be that way. when we first bought the car, new, the accessory power shut down with the engine. Thoughts? I'm not hearing the sounds referenced by blwnsmoke.

You can set the accessory power delay in the infotainment system.

Speaking of things turning on and off...When I shut the engine down the accessory power remains on for as long as an hour. I like that but I don't believe it should be that way. when we first bought the car, new, the accessory power shut down with the engine. Thoughts? I'm not hearing the sounds referenced by blwnsmoke.
Is this on your 2016? If so, please post in the 5th gen Forum. This Forum in for the 2020.

Peter

I hear the same in my 2017 Explorer. It's particularly noticeable because I park in my garage. I believe I also heard it in my previous vehicle. I figure it is just the vehicle 'waking up', so to speak.

Peter

Please post in the 5th gen :wave::chug::popcorn::laugh::dpchug:

I hear all kinds of whirring and clicking when I open any door front or rear. Independent of the key fob’s presence, like if I go out to the garage to get something out of the unlocked Explorer. In my 50+ years of being around and trying to figure out cars, these sounds are totally foreign and I cannot visualize what the car is up to.

It should shut off when you open the door. The sound only is made when you let it sit for hours and then wake it up. I took a video of it but the site keeps giving me an error when i try to upload it.

I don't have a 2020 Explorer, But I do have a 2019 Edge ST. If I open my door after its been setting for a while you can hear a mechanical clicking noise. Sounds like a gear engaging or something. I believe it is part of the AWD system and how it can disconnect the drive drain when needed. I believe it does a test when the door is unlocked. Again, I don't know if its the same thing, especially since its a completely different drive train, but wouldn't surprise me. There is one guy on the Edge forum that insists its the fuel pump priming also.

+1 on the fuel pump priming. Ive had an ‘11 f150 EB, an ’18 fiesta and a ‘19 escape and all of them primed the pump when you open the (any) door.

+1 on the fuel pump priming. Ive had an ‘11 f150 EB, an ’18 fiesta and a ‘19 escape and all of them primed the pump when you open the (any) door.

Does your fuel pump priming sound like a metal gear engaging? Kind of a high pitched "ka-thunk"?

Mine is more of a low pitched 'electronic' sound if that makes any sense. Sounds as though something is 'coming to life'.

Peter

Fuel pump priming usually sounds like an electric motor activating and whirring for a second or two. It will be a constant sort of noise. Seems to be pretty common among modern cars for the fuel pump to prime upon the opening of a door.
"ka-thunk" sounds more mechanical.
+1 on the noises after shutdown probably being evaporative emissions related. Vent and purge solenoids and such.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

17 seconds and 37 seconds

6 seconds and 31 seconds.

Back