• Register Today It's free!

Sound Deadening

DesertSpive

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger FX4
I am looking to cut some of the road noise down in my truck. Want it to be a little more comfortable for those long road trips. Anyways, I was considering Brownbread and of course, Dynamat, but saw some alternatives on the audio boards. People seem to have had good luck using Peel 'n Seal roofing material bought at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. It is just like Dynamat, tacky asphault side and aluminum backing. Has anyone here tried it? Or does anyone have any input?

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

--Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have used a similar product called Ice & Water Gard, it worked very well IMO. Much quieter inside now, no rattles from subs at all.

Im am and have used roofing material like you are talking about and it worked great! A lot cheaper than Dynamat too. When applying it, it helps to heat it a little bit in order for it to form better. Good Luck.

The mats will cut down on the road noise, but you might be dissapointed. Some people have bought sound absorbing foam from mcmaster and 3m spray glued it to their and they have almost no road noise. Let me find some threads for ya on sounddomain about it.

I would appreciate any links you can find. I went ahead and did the floor of the cab today with some Aluminum backed roofing mastic I found and the results weren't as good as I had hoped for. Very slight difference, but I didn't really attack the doors. The truck is not "noisey" by any means, but less moise means more comfort on those long trips.

--Sean

How many layers did you out on? You will most likely need more to apply at least 3 layers. What brand did you buy?

The original "Ice and Water" is the better to use.
The newer version of this stuff is like roofing shingles and not as flexible.
Look for the rubberized stuff that does not look like a roof shingle.

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Ice and water sheild instead of dynamat

I work for 84 Lumber and the product is Owens Corning Ice and Water shield. I personally haven't used it for sound deadening but I have sold it and one of the guy's I work with did use it, and was very happy with the results. I contemplated using it or some type of low expansion spray foam to shoot inside the rear quarters, which is where A LOT of the road noise resonates from. Anyway the ice and water shield we sell is very flexable and as easy as dynamat to work with. Usually sells for 61.00 for a 200 square feet (4'x50') roll. Tell them you know Eric from the Mt Pleasant PA store and maybe they will give you the Contractor rate. Anyone in my area stop in and I'll take care of you.

Hope this helps,
Eric

I used some aluminum backed roofing material. I did one layer over the entire floor and two in the foot well areas. Since alot of my floor was bare metal, except for a few strategically placed pieces of insulation by Ford, I think that these sheets helped alot. I am pretty sure, after driving on the freeway today, my doors are where the majority of the noise is coming from. Having a 4-door s/c, I know some of the noise is penetrating the seals. At any rate, I am not sure how to do the doors. Should I rip off the weather shield and just put the matting over that??? Any ideas, tips, help or pictures?

--Sean

by weather shield, do you mean the moisture barrier that is behind the door panel? If so, take that off very carefully, then dynamat away. Once your done dynamating, get some spray glue and apply it to the moisture barrier. Seal it on exactly how it fit before over the dynamat. If you find that your speakers rattle the moisture barrier, you can seal the whole door with dynamat and not use it, or you can trace the moisture barrier onto some reflectix insulation and use that instead.

Originally posted by beavis195
by weather shield, do you mean the moisture barrier that is behind the door panel?

Yeah, I mean the moisture barrier. So it is okay to do the back side of the outer door skin and the inner panel with the matting (replacing the moisture barrier)? Or is sound dampening just as good if I just do the inside of the door?

And this is for the '02 FX4.

--Sean

You will be happier if you do both the inner door skin and where the moisture barrier attaches.

eric2001sport, my grandfather owns a roofing company so i was thinking about using this Owens Cornings Ice and Water remedy. I have a 2001 Sport like you and i was wondering if you knew about how much i should use for the rear trunk area. as in how many square feet and layers. Thanks for the help!

Back