Sound System Quesiton | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound System Quesiton

Peoples

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey guys, need a little help on a project. I recently got a double din pioneer head unit that I want to put in my 01 Sport Trac. Does anyone know if this Sport Trac comes with a factory amp? I just have the four door speakers and the standard stock radio. I don't know if there is an amp somewhere. If I don't have an amp it, it should be just plug the wiring harness in and go correct? If anyone could help, that would be great since I don't want to screw something up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the Sport had room for a factory amp. The 4-drs that have it have it in the passenger side cargo area where the storage pocket goes. The ST's had it in the jack area.

If you want an amp, just buy a new one and install it.

I think the Adrenalin model ST's which had a Pioneer system may have had factory amps, but that doesn't apply to you. It should be a plug n' play installation if using the commonly sold Metra brand wiring harness adaptor. You will also likely need a mounting plate adaptor if you don't have one already.

look behind your rear seats. the sport trac factory amp (if installed) would be back there. odds are, if you have a standard ford stock radio, no amp.

If there is an amp, like I have in my Adrenalin, it will still work, but volume will be overly loud and there will be an amp hum through the speakers when the vehicle is off. There are specific wiring kits out there, and a few people that have managed to get around the problems, but I ended up putting the factory head unit back in and adding an auxiliary input. If you have a factory amp, it will likely be behind the drivers rear seat in the access panel. If you don't, it will be plug and play.

Back