Sound System Upgrades for a 98 XLT, Factory Non Premium/Mach Sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sound System Upgrades for a 98 XLT, Factory Non Premium/Mach Sound

Anticitizen1

Reaction score
City, State
Central Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0 XLT
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to the world of audio electronics, so I am looking for some guidance from those more experienced. I did some searches on the forum and got some answers, but had some other questions. I have the stock 1998 sound equipment in my XLT, non premium or mach, without amp and sub-woofer. My goal is for better than stock, and near factory appearance, but probably not Top Shelf sound for budget constraints. Not looking for Pep Boys cheap factor, I can wait and buy good quality equipment, but I just don't know the difference in the minutia of audio electronics enough. So far my upgrade list looks like this:
  • Double Din Touchscreen Radio:Bluetooth, NOT navigation equipped, under $400 with capability for usb or hard drive music input.
  • 4x Door Speakers: I want to upgrade the factory 6x8" speakers to 6.5" rounds, as I have heard they present a better sound.
  • 2x or 4x Tweeters up high: I have seen forum members mounting these in the A and B pillars, and would like to do the same for a clean install with good sound. What is the consensus on directing towards your ears vs. the windshield?
  • A decent quality sub-woofer with appropriately powered amplifier to run it. The sub-woofer must fit in the factory location in the right rear quarter panel with the factory cover and I will probably mount the amplifier under the rear passenger seat.
So all in all, I am assuming a realistic budget ceiling of probably $1300, give or take. Any recommendations of placement, brands and technology, theory or methods are greatly appreciated. I am on near daily here, I will try to answer all questions quickly. Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for the subwoofer, the cheapest enclosure route is pry an used one from the junkyard, or fabricate one yourself.

Depending on amp size, you could pry fit it behind the side cargo panel. I didn't put mine there due to worries about it overheating, but it pry would have been okay since I don't have my setup at high volumes very much.

As for factory covers, I have an OEM dark grey grill available. PM me if interested...

You will want to run new wiring to the speakers and amp(s). Spend decent money on RCA cables and the wires, not top dollar but middle of the range priced. Internal HU amps are higher distortion than almost any external amps(cheap stuff are worse).

People have installed a shallow 10" subwoofer in the OEM enclosure, fabricating the grille portion. The stealthbox is what you'd want to find if you could locate one used.

Look at amplifier THD figures as guidelines to choose. Many popular brands are high distortion products, relative to others. Use the old 30+ year old Nakamichi PA amps as an old example. Those ran .005% or better THD, and are available still for $150 or less. I have several for my projects, and one 4x35w PA 350 will run you out of a car.

Speakers are a personal preference, it's not easy to get help choosing those.

My system consists of pioneer 8200nex, jl 500/1, 300/4, jl cs212w0v3 subs, focal 165as in the front and 165ca1 in the rear doors.

Sounds decent and hits hard if I want it to.

I initially wanted to keep the stock deck but the noise is terrible. It had to go.

I was torn between the avh4200nex and 8200. Decided to splurge. I really didn't want or need the nav either but said F it.

The focals are being replaced soon. Acquired a set of audio development w600s and t100s to try out.

My system consists of pioneer 8200nex, jl 500/1, 300/4, jl cs212w0v3 subs, focal 165as in the front and 165ca1 in the rear doors.

Sounds decent and hits hard if I want it to.

I initially wanted to keep the stock deck but the noise is terrible. It had to go.

I was torn between the avh4200nex and 8200. Decided to splurge. I really didn't want or need the nav either but said F it.

The focals are being replaced soon. Acquired a set of audio development w600s and t100s to try out.

How do you judge the speakers, what do you think of those you mentioned? Everything else is easy to compare and price etc, but speakers are the last item that have to be judged by the listener.

I have two pairs of speakers in boxes to try, both are component kits with 6.5's in them and a small crossover. I'm not sure which to put in front, versus rear, I hope to install them so they can be swapped around easily. One's a Rockford Fosgate, and I forgot what the other one is right now.

I really like them. Highs are a little sharp but I could probably spend some time tuning things better too.

I've heard really good things about these ADs but I don't want to bi-amp so I'm waiting on a pair of crossovers.

Look at amplifier THD figures as guidelines to choose. Many popular brands are high distortion products, relative to others. Use the old 30+ year old Nakamichi PA amps as an old example. Those ran .005% or better THD, and are available still for $150 or less. I have several for my projects, and one 4x35w PA 350 will run you out of a car.

:thumbsup:

Oldschool Naks are my favorite! late 80's-90's amps are great.

I had a CD-700 (not II) NIB back in the day and sold it on ebay. I really wish I had it right now to put in the Cent for my long road trips.

:chug:

This ones a rare bird...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-C...228706?hash=item2830408d62:g:5YsAAOSwUKxYiwlU

Back