• Register Today It's free!

spacer install

MCD04EB

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer
hey everyone, I know this question has probably been answered already but i am just too tired and worn out to search for it.
We were working on the front part of the lift for my explorer, and we got the strut out, spacer on, and strut back in but we can not get the strut compressed enough to get the strut lined up to the lower a arm to bolt it back.
what has everyone done to get them compressed enough?

And another question, how does everyone get the ball joint separated from the knuckle?
do i need to get a press to get it out?
because we tried everything we could think of to try and get it out without damaging it.
sorry for the long post, and thanks for looking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a hammer and hit the metal around the ball joint ( not hard, just firmly tapping it) that'll break it free and fall right out ive done it more than once...

as for getting the strut compressed, once you get the upper BJ loose take a pry bar and pry down on the Lower Control Arm

put a jack under the lower control arm and jack it up until the strut is compressed as much as possible (you'll be lifting the truck up when that happens. Then loosen the nut on the upper ball joint and tap that bolt with a hammer and it'll pop right out of the knuckle.

As Gamecocks said, when you install the spacer on the strut, bolt in the lower part of the strut, then bend the lower control arm down enough to swing the top part of the strut over and fit it into the mounting area. I just put one foot on it and put a lot of weight on it and that did the trick.

To reconnect the upper control arm/balljoint to the knuckle, put your jack under the lower control arm and compress the strut as much as possible as you did before. You can then use a ratchet strap or muscle power to bend the upper control arm down the rest of the way to fit the balljoint bolt into the knuckle.

hey everyone, I know this question has probably been answered already but i am just too tired and worn out to search for it.
We were working on the front part of the lift for my explorer, and we got the strut out, spacer on, and strut back in but we can not get the strut compressed enough to get the strut lined up to the lower a arm to bolt it back.
what has everyone done to get them compressed enough?

And another question, how does everyone get the ball joint separated from the knuckle?
do i need to get a press to get it out?
because we tried everything we could think of to try and get it out without damaging it.
sorry for the long post, and thanks for looking.

hey thanks gamecocks and Ronin for the quick replys. Its too late tonight but tomorrow I will get out there and tap around the ball joint and then connect the bottom part first. Thanks guys! will let you know how it goes!

Just my expirence, to compress the strut to get it back in I fist bolted the bottom of the strut to the lower control arm, then using a 4 foot 2x4, I put the wood on the lca and angled it to the ground, stood on the board and put my shoulder inside the wheel well. Push down with both of your legs on the board and push up with your shoulder, then using your free hand, swing the top of the strut and spacer into the top strut mount. Proceed to beat with rubber mallet untill its seated properly

Thanks man! i actually did that last night, i bolted it in the lca first then my dad stepped on it while i pushed it into place. im about to go take some pics of the front half on

Back