Spacer size for 285 75 16 on stock wheels. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spacer size for 285 75 16 on stock wheels.

Mr.Fork

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I just got my grabber at2 285 75 16s in for my sport trac. I will be running them on stock wheels with warrior shackles and a 2" tt. I've made peace with knowing I'll have to do some trimming but wonder if anyone is running a spacer or adapter to reduce the amount of cutting that needs to be done and if so, what size? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spacers will actually push the tires out further and cause you to need to do more trimming on the outer edges. If you do run spacers, you'll need at least 1.25" to not have to grind down the wheel studs.

Spacers will actually push the tires out further and cause you to need to do more trimming on the outer edges. If you do run spacers, you'll need at least 1.25" to not have to grind down the wheel studs.

2nd!

The spaces will cause far more rubbing but it is worth it to not look like a roller skate running down the road.
I ran 1.5 inch spacers until changing wheels and tires (used to be 265/75/16 on stockers) and the front tires were just sticking out from the fender.

Also be sure to post pictures! I have been thinking of getting grabber AT2s and would not mind seeing them on a trac first:salute:

I am running that size tire on stock wheels. No spacers on the front, did some trimming and still need to do just a little more. On the rear I am running a 1.5 inch spacer to keep from rubbing the rear inner fender.

Have some photos of the truck and what was trimmed? This is on just tt and shackles?

No pictures of the trimming but here is one with 285/75/16's,TT and shackles. As far as trimming I have to trim the lower edge of the bumper cover where the fender liner meets the cover. On the back side of the wheel well I trimmed some of the rocker cover and the fender liner. I have also found using some zip ties to hold the fender liner back closer to the frame helps. My truck is not at home at this time so I can't take any pictures. Hopefully I will get it back next week.

Attachments

• 0817141453.jpg
    0817141453.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 901

Back