Spare key & remote | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare key & remote

can someone explaing why you need 2 keys to program a third???

On my 97 explorer, you only needed one current key to program.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

emas said:
can someone explaing why you need 2 keys to program a third???

On my 97 explorer, you only needed one current key to program.
Your 97 had the PATS I system. Your 04 has PATS II (or newer). With PATS II, two keys are required to program a third. Another security measure I soppose.

The $75 from the dealer should include programming it to your car. Something like $30 for the key, plus 1/2 hour labor. Obviously it doesn't take them a 1/2 hour to do, so its a rip off either way. A Locksmith with the right equipment can also program keys to your vehicle, even if you don't have any working keys.

emas said:
Did you say you had keys as well? I'll take them at $15/pc. PM me with details.
Not sure his keys are going to work as Ford went to the different key design in 02

I have also found ebay to be the best place for new keys and fobs. Then you go pay your locksmith $2 to cut the key and program it yourself. Less than $50 for a new key and fob programmed if you already have two. That way you still have two spares, should you loose a set you can still program a new one.

I recently paid $25 CAD on eBay for two OEM keys for my '99. Got them cut a Walmart for free and programmed them myself in about a minute. The dealers/locksmiths gouge big time. Always a good idea to have 2 keys around at all time for programming purposes. I currently have the two that came with my truck, and 4 in reserve.

np

emas said:
thanks, that's what I was looking for. Bought from them with my old explorer with an avital alarm.... they were great but I lost the site... probably 4 years ago.

no problem...glad i could help ;)

dealership

I called the dealership to make sure again....The dealership in Pensacola Florida "WORLD FORD" service dept said the key was $35 and to program it since I have only one key would be one hour labor at $75...what a crock of S***..... :fire:

I called around some locksmith that do auto keys and found one that did coded keys and told them I needed to have a key made and only had one. He said he could hook it up to his computer and program it for $30 for the key and $35 for the labor....now that is more reasonable. ;)

Why the dealership thinks I was going to pay $110 for key but able to get it done cheaper is just losing business for them. they are getting a bad rep and rightly deserve it.

before you go running off to the "stealership"....cll around for a better price on anything you need done that you can not do yourself. ford should be ashamed of the way some of their shops are run...... :thumbdwn:

daprez1963 said:
where is "around here" do tell......and i will call to verify that......lol

not sure what you are getting for $30 but maybe they saw you coming and sold you a regular key for #30....lol :confused:
One $35 dollars you say. Who would have thought. :rolleyes: Dealers never see me coming. My vehicles only see any mechanic for inspection.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...ewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQitemZ8039097974QQrdZ1

I'd rather pay the $21 to anybody but a dealership. I'd order a key and try and reprogram the key with just one key. Are the 2002's PATSII?

Patsii

Mbrooks420 said:
Are the 2002's PATSII?

Yes, my 2002 is PATSII....requires 2 keys to reprogram a new one, but I found a locksmith that will under cut the dealership by more than half on labor..... :D

Hate to change the subject anybody having problems with their alarm activating by itself?

SSgtDorsey said:
Hate to change the subject anybody having problems with their alarm activating by itself?

Meaning it goes off on its own? It is suppose to activate and set by itself, but if yours is going off (triggered) then you might have a wiring problem... :confused:

daprez1963 said:
I called the dealership to make sure again....The dealership in Pensacola Florida "WORLD FORD" service dept said the key was $35 and to program it since I have only one key would be one hour labor at $75...what a crock of S***..... :fire:

I called around some locksmith that do auto keys and found one that did coded keys and told them I needed to have a key made and only had one. He said he could hook it up to his computer and program it for $30 for the key and $35 for the labor....now that is more reasonable. ;)

Why the dealership thinks I was going to pay $110 for key but able to get it done cheaper is just losing business for them. they are getting a bad rep and rightly deserve it.

before you go running off to the "stealership"....cll around for a better price on anything you need done that you can not do yourself. ford should be ashamed of the way some of their shops are run...... :thumbdwn:

I found the exact opposite around me.... I have two keys I had cut years ago.... but apparently never programmed them. :( :( Needless to say, I lost one of my factory keys too.... The local locksmiths wanted $75-$90 just to program them. The dealership only wants $35 for the programming. It'll be going in later this week (hopefully).

Again, you need TWO WORKING KEYS to program additional keys. If you only have one, a trip to the dealership (or locksmith with the right equipment) is necessary.

I have found that the dealerships are not all alike. They charge differently which doesn't make sense since they are servicing the same FORD cars/trucks. Why some dealers charge only 30-40 to program and while mine here charges 75 is odd and disturbing. I have checked on a couple of other things and found that they charge more than anyone else in the area which doesn't come as a big surprise. If I can find a qualified mechanic that knows how to repair something on this SUV, you can beat I wont bother callin the service dept at the dealership (World Ford) Pensacola FL.

Thanks for the advice, got the 2 keys and remotes today. ebay was the best price. now I just have to program them.

just had the 2 keys programmed at my local dealership - $36

2 keys off of ebay $24

2 fob's off of ebay $28

Lot less then I expected to pay. Again, thanks for the great advice.

Hey celly, what is the proces
for programming the new key?

thanks

celly said:
I recently paid $25 CAD on eBay for two OEM keys for my '99. Got them cut a Walmart for free and programmed them myself in about a minute. The dealers/locksmiths gouge big time. Always a good idea to have 2 keys around at all time for programming purposes. I currently have the two that came with my truck, and 4 in reserve.

Programming new keys

bdf said:
Hey celly, what is the proces
for programming the new key?

thanks

The following is the programming procedure from the 2004 Explorer Owners Manual. (I have no idea if it works for other years as well.)

You can program your own coded keys to your vehicle.

Tips:
A maximum of eight keys can be coded to your vehicle.
Only use Securilock keys.
You must have two previously programmed coded keys (keys that already operate your vehicle’s engine) and the new unprogrammed key(s) readily accessible.
If two previously programmed coded keys are not available, you must take your vehicle to your dealer to have the spare key(s) programmed.

Please read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. Within ten seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (OFF) position, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. Within twenty seconds turning the ignition to the 1 (OFF) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF) position to the 3 (ON) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (ON) position for at least three seconds but not more than 10 seconds.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

If the key has been successfully programmed, it will start the vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out.

If the key was not successfully programmed, it will not start your vehicle’s engine and the theft indicator light will flash on and off, and you may repeat Steps 1 through 5. If failure repeats bring your vehicle to your dealer to have the new key(s) programmed.

To program additional new unprogrammed key(s), wait twenty seconds and then repeat this procedure from step 1.

I doubt it , besides I only have one key, and need to program a second

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get the keys cheap on ebay. Plus you can get the one that you like. As in I like the harley davidson keys. I got an OEM 04 F150 Harley Davidson key for $22 shipped. Then had the dealer program it for me. Total cost was $52 and I got the nice looking harley key. The guy that did my key said that they sell those keys for $105 which includes cutting and programing it too.

Vic

Back