spare on the roof or no?

toddious

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
winter park, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited 4x4
I'm thinking of what to do with my spare tire. i'm (obviously) rockin 2" suspension and 3" BL, and have 33" tires. will throwing the spare on the roof (mounted to some kind of roof rack) make my ex too top heavy? It is probably the easiest solution without taking up cargo space, but i don't want to roll over i'll tell you that! anybody? thanks, todd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have thought about that for about 2 months now. I was planning on getting a roof rack carrier that would just house my spare tire and a jack. I do not think it'll make it too top heavy, but it will make it extremely taller - so measure it and remember it when you try to go through drive-thrus, banks, etc! All I would do is strap it down. There are a few carriers for sale on many different websites. I found one at AZtrucks.com (I think that was the site). Hope this helps

-Drew

no it wont. i have a 5" lift and i built a rack on the top with a 35" tire... no prob

thanks for the advice. i figured that i should be alright, because my 5" lift isn't really all that much, but i just like to be reassured by others.... haha. i've been lookin into it a lot today, and i really like the rear bumper's with the swinging tire carrier that www.crlcustoms.com make. i might look into something like that, because it would be the best of both worlds (more room, less top heavy). what to do..... what to do..... todd.

I have a yakima rack with a 32" tire mounted on the factory crossbars and have not had a problem

Will it make your already top heavy SUV more top heavy? Yes

You are putting a heavy wheel/tire setup on the most top portion of your vehicle. You WILL be raising your COG. There just isn't any way to argue that.

Whether it is "too" much weight all depends on the situation your SUV finds it in. Driving normally on the road, in a safe manner, it won't hurt much at all (then again, look at how many rollovers we have had lately). Put that SUV on a tilt on a trail, it MAY be just enough to screw with ya. It will be a personal decision as to how much risk you are willing to take.

passenger seat works awesome for me

I have my 35" on the top of mine with no problems. Hopefully I will get a rear tire carrier made this summer, cause I almost took out a window getting it down, and it takes 2 people to get it up there.

Here was my solution. When camping there is a piece for the top and open sides for a sleeping platform.

20122new_tool_box_010.jpg

20122new_tool_box_013.jpg

You can fit on that? :confused: I have to lay longways with my feet hanging out the back of my truck. I guess that what I get for being 6'5"

ah, gotcha. Thats a good idea though, I might have to think of something like that. Where do you put the box part that goes over the folded down seats?

There are basicly just two pine 2x10's about 4' long that have been notched to go together in an x shape. The surface is a 1/2 inch piece of pine ply that is hinged in the center for ease of carrying.
Most of the time they reside in the garage, but can be added to the camping load if needed. They really take up very little space and makes a flat sturdy bed with a lot of clothes storage area under the top.

Who knows if it will really be comfortable. That roof seems rather close to my face, but if all else fails the box gave me cargo space back and I have a few tents. ;)

I built a vertical rack for my spare in the hatch area, with the tight trails I run here in washington a tire handlin' off the back was not a option nor was raisen' the COG of putting it on the roof. If I remember I will snap a picture tonight when I get home.

i wouild appreciate it if you get a chance. thanks, todd.

Another disadvantage of keeping the spare tire on the top is that is heavy. You have to get a 100-pound tire on and off the roof of a lifted explorer. You will never get a flat when there is someone to help you. Try to get a 33 to 35 inch tire and rim on top of your truck, you may change yor mind.

I used material I had on hand to build this, so you could use smaller steel

Attachments

• IM000935.JPG
    IM000935.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IM000937.JPG
    IM000937.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 155

I added a stablizer that runs across to the other side, you can barely see it under the ice chest, there is a burn mark on the tire rack from when I added it

Back