Spare tire 31x10.50 R 15

jmvb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Does it fit in the rear place?

98' XLT

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it will. The metric equivalent of that is 265/75/15 and on vehicles with that size, people had 235/75/15 as the spare. I mean it came from the factory with that spare when the vehicle had the larger wheel option. Apparently Ford didn't think the diameter difference was enough to matter, so long as you're not in 4WD at least.

It should fit. Mine does. If you have a trailer hitch installed you might need to push it further forward, while raising the rear of the tire into place first, then winch it up tight to raise the front. I've hung a 33" tire under there (285 75 17 ) but for this you do have to cut off the front bracket which hangs right above the differential. If your 31" is too snug, you can bend the bracket for a little more clearance.

This is a 31 10 15 hanging under the truck with the stock rear bumper.

041-1.jpg

I checked into this when deciding on my most recent tire purchase. I've been running the stock p235/75r/15's and was interested in going to 31's. A 31x10.5x15 >will< fit into the stock '98 spare tire bay. I took measurements and determined that it would be tight but not be a problem. In the end I did not go with 31's and purchased a set of the Mich LTX MS 2's in the stock size.

Back