Spare tire placement/roof rack?

Nexron

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
Quick question concerning a storage option for my 33x12.50 spare tire:

As of right now, I have my spare on the roof on a yakima basket. I didn't but it separate, it was on the car when I bought it. So, I use it for my spare as of now. But, I have a dilemma with that set up. Because I need that space for storage for when I use my vehicle out in the wilderness.
I've been looking at a couple options. One, is a swing away tire carrier. I don't really have the option of a full custom bumper. So the Tiregate HG series
( http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml ) seems to be a good substitute. If I do get that, or something like it, I would modify my hitch/bumper set up So that the hitch is farther up and back so that the tire itself isn't sticking out so far from the vehicle. So would anyone know the dimensions of the tire carrier? Specifically the distance from the end of the hitch receiver to the cross piece(When installed)?
My other option is keep the tire on the roof, but get a larger basket. I've bee looking at the Garvin Off-road series.
( http://wildernessracks.com/roof_or_rack.html ) Is there any one who has this already? I would like to get a full length, or as long as possible. My X has the sun roof as well, if that matters.

Thanks for any input, any other ideas on where to stick my spare are appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah. I found a coupl of those hitch mounts. But, I didn't really consider those, because I don't think having the tire there (Which I really do, cause that's just awesome) is worth not being able to open up the back door. Do you know if it's still possible to open up the window on the hatchback with the tire there? Because then I might be willing to have it there. And yes, 600 dollars is hard.

I thought about putting the spare back in the original spot. But, I have plans for that area already. I want to put a triple battery in my car. So, I would use that space to put two batteries, and a storage area.

Thanks for the ideas.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/unhimosptica.html
6715.jpg

Yeah. I like that bronco idea. Not sure how it would look on my second gen. And that is some heavy reinforcing required for that to work. So that is an option. As for the hitch one, I would not like that in the back just because it is too hard getting to the back with that in the way.

Oh yeah. I found a coupl of those hitch mounts. But, I didn't really consider those, because I don't think having the tire there (Which I really do, cause that's just awesome) is worth not being able to open up the back door. Do you know if it's still possible to open up the window on the hatchback with the tire there? Because then I might be willing to have it there. And yes, 600 dollars is hard.

I thought about putting the spare back in the original spot. But, I have plans for that area already. I want to put a triple battery in my car. So, I would use that space to put two batteries, and a storage area.

Thanks for the ideas.

i dont know if you can still access the glass but it might be easy enough to turn it into something from this forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/hitch-mount-spare-tire-carrier-done-570883/

although now i think about it it would cover our plate... hmm

Man I love that idea. I love that it swings down too. There might be a couple brused shin involved, but I won't think that too much off a negative.

Yeah, it would cover the plate. Would have to put it on the tire like the guy had in the picture, and wire the light to it. Simple, but annoying fix.
I really like this idea. I'm going to look into this one more. Thanks.

What I'm wondering now is, what size roof rack can I fit? I'm wondering if that would be a better choice so that the tire would not be in the way at all. If I could fit a fairly large basket up there, I think that would be better. Anyone know what size and weight the explorer is good for? (2nd gen)

Once I saw this thread I knew I wanted one. I have almost all the steel except some for what the rim will bold up to but I am working on that. Hoping to weld everything up this weekend. Will post some pictures once its done. Oh I'm making it out of 2" square tubing with 3/16" wall and 3/16" plate.

Back