spare tire problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spare tire problem

bubble874

Reaction score
I am having some difficulty with my spare tire, i can't find a place for it. Is it possible to mount it on the back hatch with a carrier? I can't find any carriers, that will mount the tire without a custom bumper, suggestions are appreciated. What are my options besides a roof rack spare tire mount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't say how big your spare tire is. Is it 33" or over?
If so then a custom job is all your gonna find at this time. Sorry, We're all in the same boat.

tire size

It is a 33x12.5 Tsl Radial. Can't you maybe take a spare tire carrier from a bronco or another type of ford and put it on?

Well alot of people have asked that same question, but to date, I haven't heard of any one actually doing it. The Bronco's tire carrier mounts to the body but I would assume that if you did that to an Explorer you would have to strengthen it up to be able to handle the load ot a 33" tire, plus you would have to put holes in the rear hatch to mount the locking mechanism and to help support the weight of the tire there too. There are a few other post about tire carriers that some of the guys here have come up with. They also include pictures. Tom Davis has a tire carrier that fits into a rear reciever hitch that he had made up. There are pictures of it posted in one of the threads. It also can hold 2 gerry cans and a Hi-lift jack. Pretty nice actually.

there's a free way to do anything

I want opinions of my stupid idea. Have a full sized spare but deflate it until it fits under the truck, perhaps a ratched strap could be used to bundle it together and in time of need use a compressor like I already carry to filler up and slap er on!!!!!!!!!!

That is sort of what we do.. We have BFG AT-KO's 32x11.50 in the stock spare location under the rear of the truck. If I bring the tire pressue down to 10-15psi I can fit it in there.. I always carry an air compressor so it isn't a big deal to put air back in it anyway.. (give me time to put the jack/tools away).. I'm not sure if a 33" tire will fit. Under extreme flex my rear axle get awfly(sp?) close the the spare tire.. a 33" tire may actuall hit.

~Mark

Hi BUBBLE,
If you do a search here in the forums for "tire carrier" you'll find a bunch of threads on this subject. there are at least 4 manufacturers making carriers that will fit Explorers. Some need minor modification or new bumpers to fit
JB

Back