• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire question

emolina

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
When I got my Explorer in 1997 the spare tire was oriented with the outside of the rim facing up. When I replaced the spare years ago at America's Tire, the new spare was oriented in the same position. Today, I was at America's Tire and I asked them to check my spare air pressure. They lowered the tire and put air in it. The guy doing the work said that he would change the position so that the valve would be facing down and the spare air pressure could be checked without lowering it. Does this make a difference in terms of safety or durability of the hoist?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No it is fine either way.

I believe the owner's manual shows it with the valve-side facing up. I think it may have something to do with water tending to sit in the rim more if the valve-side is down, due to the shape of the steel rim. This may be a problem in the rust-belt states, IDK. As I don't live where they salt the roads in winter I put mine valve-side down so I can occasionally check/adjust the tire pressure.

I used to keep mine with the valve side down to be able too check the pressure, as Koda suggested. Also, I would periodically lower it and lube the cable and mechanism with white lithium grease just to keep things from getting stuck and cranky. heh-heh. That said, I can only recall once in the time that I owned the Ex that I actually had to mount the spare due to a flat.

Thanks all. I'll drop it when it warms up and lube the cable. I had to replace it once.

Back