Spare tire question

Brem95

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Explorer Sport OHV
Hey hope everyone is doing well, just wondering if a 16 inch Steel rim with a 255/70/16 (stock size for my 97 sport) fit underneath. It’s AWD and don’t want to run a small spare and ruin the transfer case.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your sport isn’t really AWD, it’s automatic 4wd.

It should fit. If not, you can hammer the offending shield that keeps it from sliding into place. I never carried a spare because my mudders wouldn’t fit. I originally intended to put one up there that was deflated, and then just air it up if needed.

I noticed this too, my 97' SPORT 4x4 with 16" rims has a 15" spare! WTF FORD? I dont know if it came like this from the factory because it appears to have been used, but is in very good shape, still has the 23 yo tire on it too, I would not use it unless extreme emergency and then only to move the vehicle shortest distance to saftey. My only solution would be to get a matching chrome steel rim 16"and tire that already sit on all four corners, and put that in place of the orig. spare under the truck. Since I only drive it less than 1000 miles a year, and have fairly new tires, I am too lazy.

That 16 inch rim will not fit under your Sport. I tried this on mine and I couldn't tighten it up which allowed the tire to move around under the truck.

Your sport isn’t really AWD, it’s automatic 4wd.

It should fit. If not, you can hammer the offending shield that keeps it from sliding into place. I never carried a spare because my mudders wouldn’t fit. I originally intended to put one up there that was deflated, and then just air it up if needed.
Does this mean that if I get a flat the 15 inch spare will be ok for 100km or so of distance? This is my daily driver right now as well as camping rig so want to make sure I don’t get stranded in the woods! Thanks

Does this mean that if I get a flat the 15 inch spare will be ok for 100km or so of distance? This is my daily driver right now as well as camping rig so want to make sure I don’t get stranded in the woods! Thanks
You'll be fine. Just don't drive it to faster than 50 mph.

Back