spare tire replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spare tire replacement

I am putting on 17" wheels with tire size 245/45/17, this is 3" less than my stock 235/75/15's. i have never took down my spare tire, but i assume that it is the same size as the stocks. Being that it is 3" taller, if I ever had to change a tire the truck would be drastically unevev, My point and question is I dont know what is holding the spare tire in place, and was wondering if I bought another 17" wheel could I put it in place of the spare??

bumppppppppppp

Please do not bump AND start a new thread on the same subject. It takes time for some people to answer these questions. I deleted your other thread.

the size you want to go with is a 26" tall tire, which is less than stock (which you pointed out), so it'll fit fine in the spare tire place. The thing holding the spare tire in is a cable with a flange that fits in the middle of the wheel. I believe all explorers have a full size spare. If you are 4wd DO NOT use that spare with the 26s - it'll damage components (ie transfer case)

-Drew

if you dont get what Drew is talking about go and take your spare tire down that is the easiest way to see what it is like, and all X i have seen have come with full size spares, and like he said dont use the spare unless you get a smaller size

Back