Spare Tire Size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Size?

i just got 265/75r16 (~31.5") and i was just planning on keepin my stock 255/70r16 tire as the spare and use it like a donut. but then i realized that probably screws up the diffs to drive on one smaller tire. so how do passenger cars get away with driving on a donut???

can i use a donut or do i have to buy a cheap tire of the same size?

does anyone know if a 265/75r16 will fit in the spare tire carrier under the truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can still use the smaller size, just put it in front so the TTB can compensate. I have done this before, getting out of Elephant Hill in Moab.:eek: That was crazy!

oh yea, i forgot, i have a '99 with the SLA. its also a 4wd. so how do passenger cars do it?

For short distances, it isn't a problem. If you have a limited slip though, it will save some wear to your LS if you put it on the front. From '95-'97 Ford sometimes included a smaller "temporary use only" spare with the 255 70R16 tires. My spare was a 215 70R15 (about 27"). I have a 30x9.5 crammed under there now to go with my 265 75R16s. Without my hitch I might have been able to squeeze a 31" tire but I need my hitch more than I need a 31" spare. I did drive on the smaller tire with it mounted on the front to try it out and asside from the low corner, it drove fine. In '98 Ford enlargened the spare tire well so they started including full sized spares with the 255 70R16 tires. If you can cram something larger under there, it certainly won't hurt anything should you need it.

I have a 31 spare but have 33s. With 2wd, it won't really be a problem if I ever have to use it since I'll put it on the front.

I have a 265 70 15 all away around plus the spare tire. I had to tilt the tire to be able to put the tire all the way in. No way yours would!

Ohhh, yeah... the hitch. If I didn't have the hitch then all of the tire would flushed right in.

My bad.

I have the stock 235 under there. I had to use it once a month ago and after I got it on, I spent 10 minutes hosing it down :D

Back