• Register Today It's free!

Spare tire-What would you do?

Markaprice73

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT (RWD)
Ok. So I was cleaning dirt and sand out from under the rear bumper and noticed the spare tire was the original made 3202. (32nd week of 2002) I've have 2 options to replace this in fear of it completly shedding in half if I ever need it. I currently am running NEW 255/70R/16's. Option 1-I have a 265/70R/16 with little tread made 1208. Option 2- a 255/70R/16 with lots of tread made 4806. But, has 2 small nails in the rubber(not through to the inner tire) That I can patch myself if need be but dosent look like I need to. So I could use the older one with good tread and a few repaired pin holes or the 'little bit newer' one that has little tread and not matching size. I cant afford to just buy a new one at the moment. I was thinking the one with the better tread and repaired holes that is the same size. But it is 6yrs old?. What would you do in the meantime until you could get a new one??? Thanks for any thoughts
UPDATE: justed pulled a nail that only went through the tread and 1 staple. No damage
SO the question is do I put on the 4yr old tire 265 that dosent match my 255s or the 6yr old tire that matches with good tread? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Original tire?

The spare on my Explorer is the orginal from 1998 it has never been used, upon closer inspection the spare is still like new. The running tires were also the original from the factory when I got it about a year ago, although the curb side was heavily scrubbed out and the tread a little smooth.

I even considered using the spare full time and only buying 3 new tires to pass inspection. I later decided to get new Kumho AT's as they were the type of tire I was looking for, for my beach driving adventures.

So what is the overall condition of your current spare?

If it's not the same size as the rest of the tires i would caution against using it. I had to use my original spare once with my 265/70R17s and the auto 4x4 did not like that one bit. I only had to go 5 miles as well as kept the speed under 25 MPH (in a 40 MPH zone).

The age isn't an issue. The size difference would be.

Thanks for the quick replies. I have heard that running a diff size could cause some problems. But, Im pretty sure the only diff in 265/70R/16's and 255/70R/16's is the width. I think they are the same heigth. looks pretty close. Hard to tell as the 265 is worn and the 255 is almost full tred. Would that cause any issues? ... My spare has never been used. It LOOKS perfect. BUT, ive read that after x amount of yrs they can be dried out and prone to just split right in half.... I would love to know what the amount of years that would be to drive safely on a tire even with good tread.

I would check for weather cracking on both of your spares. I would opt for the same size with two nails that didn't go all the way through if they are not weather cracked.

For future reference, the 265/70r16 is a different size than the 255/70r16. The first number is the width of the tread while the second is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tread width. Therefore, 70% of 265mm is greater than 70% of 255mm. The 265 would fit the vehicle, but as far as messing up the 4wd, i don't know. These sizes are very close, and you're only using it as a spare until you get a new tire...

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
265/70-16 7.3in 15.3in 30.6in 96.2in 659 0.0%
255/70-16 7.0in 15.0in 30.1in 94.4in 671 -1.8%

It's generally not recommended to use a tire after 6 years of age. The ST doesn't have AWD but I would still say the same sized tire if for nothing else but the better tread. At 6 years, it's probably still fine, I just wouldn't push it too hard for too long.

I wouldn't run tires from '98, JMO.

Thank you Nick!! That make perfect sense. 70% of 265 and 255 are diff. So simple but that didnt cross my mind. I will go with the 255 for the spare. It LOOKS good. No weathering that I can tell. Oh well, it should get me to where im going if I ever need it. The reason I have such a good tread tire in my garage was someplace talked me into changing it when it didnt need to be(i was ignorant then) anyway I kept it because of his $10 disposal fee. I was going to make a tire swing with it at the time but thankfully used a diff one.

swshawaii with the specs! Nice! Thanks
Thanks Offtrac! Ha!Yeah I was wondering about the tires from 98 too. Thought it might have been a typo

I would check junkyards, Craig's List, eBay, for a used 255/70-15 newer than what you have.

Thanks JohnnyO. I checked Craigslist and nothing turnd up in my area and the few I saw on Ebay were almost as much as a new one and most where just as old. Hey, I tried...UPDATE: I went to Walmart today and had them put on the 6yr old tire(well 5&1/2). Guy was cool and just charged me $5(normally 10) and no charge for balancing(cant remember what they charge) and no charge for the valve stem(2.50). So I should be good to go for ahwile. Had them do balancing and rotation on my new tires while at it. Its only been 4000 miles but I was feeling a very slight vibration since the day I got them put on. Yes Walmart. I know I know. Magically they put on new weights and now its smooth. -VENTING FOR A SEC HERE: THEN!!!! I looked out and saw his jack under my rear diff!!! walked outside to be sure and he quickly removed it as I walked out. Im sure he knew that was a big No-No. I wanted to say something but they were not finished and I didnt want him to get an attitude finishing up. Anyway I punked out and didnt say anything. I did notice a slight seeping from the diff the other day and wondered how that happened. Well maybe I know now. I dont like to bash anyone doing their job. I choose walmart and the guys there are all 40-50yrs old so I figured it would be ok. Now I just have to remind them next rotation to not jack it up like that. Thanks for all your help fellas. I feel better now having a 6yr old spare than a 10yr old one AND THANK YOU TO WHOEVER IT WAS THAT WROTE ON ANOTHER THREAD AWHILE BACK..When you put the spare back up put the stem facing down. Simple thing but Brilliant! So you can check it when checking your other tires from time to time.

I came across 3 new Michellin's and I needed a 4th. I noticed my spare was the exact same tire and tread pattern and it's a 2002 date code. been running on it for 1 year now(since june 2011) and it looks and acts just like the newer ones. As long as it hasn't been dried out from being in the sun it should be totally fine.

Back