SPark plug broken | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SPark plug broken

johershey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 02 explorer eddie bauer v8. i was driving down the road an herd a pop and then a loud ticking so i was close to home and when i got there i found the coil on my #7 cylinder blown out and the spark plug laying on top of the motor. but about 1/2" of the threads only are still in the cylinder threads. the whole rest of the plug came out in one piece
if anyone has any ideas on how to get the remaining threads out and also what might have caused that problem to start with i would appreciate it

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

broken spark plug

Did you know that you have a 4.6L triten engine in that exploer.
There is many repair options for this issue.
Try a serch for "blown out spark plug" and you will find a lot of info on this issue. Good luck.

The TimeSert BigSert repair kit is what you want for it. Otherwise the heads have to come off for repair... not a fun job.

-Joe

no i didn't know it was a triton engine, that's good to know.

but i figured out the problem someone had done a helicoil repair on it and didn't do it right. I brought it back to the dealer and he said the head needs to be replaced and he would cover it under the warranty.

Yeah, a Helicoil won't hold... The only way most dealers will do it is with a head removal. You can cheat by using the TimeSert Bigsert kit for it. It's not cheap, but cheaper and easier than removing the head.

Back