• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug gap?

EB Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
What should be the correct gap for a spark plug on a 91 Eddie Bauer? I replaced my plugs and could not find my manual. When I had pulled the plugs they were so far gone that the gap was burned to .089. I was unsure about the gap so I gapped them at .04 for now. Can anyone tell me what is suggested gap for a stock engine? Also you ever noticed how hard it is to get the passenger side rear plug out? geez that was a knuckle buster from hell. The best Way I found to do it was through the wheel well.

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not really sure about the gap, but if someone on here can't help you out I'd call your local Ford dealer and ask them. As for changing the plugs I know what you mean. I just put in +4's and I don't think I have a knuckle that still has skin on it. Also I just have to break two plug wires in the process. I thought the 4.0L's plugs were hard to get to but have you ever looked at a 5.0? I wouldn't want to attempt that feat. Good luck with the gaps.

------------------
Jim Ferrarini
96 Sport 5-speed
Borla headers and cat-back exhaust
modified airbox
K&N filter
+4 plugs
8.5mm wires
other small mods.

No kidding....the 5.0 are pretty hard to get to. THe only prob I had replaceing the plugs on mine was that I went to autozone to get the plugs and wires and came right home. Not a smart move to do it when the engine is hot. Lets see I have a few nuckles with no skin and the ones that have skin are kinda burnt. O'well considering all of that it only took me about 25 mins to replace the plugs and the wires. Now I just need to know if I have the correct gap. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

EB Bauer. There is usually a decal under your hood in the engine compartment. Mine is on the rad support right by the hood latch. The decal on mine says .052-.056. Hope this helps

------------------
92 4dr 4.0L 4x4
K&N, modified airbox
dynomax exhaust
31/10.50/15 on stock rims
Rancho 5000's
more to come

The gap on my 95 4.0 OHV is 0.054. I would imagine it would be the same for yours. I think there was a previous post concerning spark plug gap. You may want to try a search.

------------------
AgExplorer
95 XLT 4X2 4.0L OHV
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filters
NGK Platinum Plugs
Jacobs Electronics Wires

That helps out so much..thanks for the help. I guess now I need to get back in there and bust some more knuckles! Dead Link Removed Thanks for the help!

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

I looked for previus posts but all I could find was the gap for the plugs with a jacobs ignition module. Way to much gap for stock!

------------------
Scott Bauer
'91 Eddie Bauer

In regards to the difficulty on changing the spark plugs. It is nice to know that when the job is done, it probably is done correctly and completely.
I say this because my mother-in-law had her 92 Caddy fail the CA emmisions extremely badly. Hydrocarbons were in the 500 range. She wanted me to check it out. In the process of checking the conditions of all 8 spark plugs, I found #6 boot attached but there was no connector left inside of the spark plug boot. Apparently, the last time she had the plugs changed, the back four (front wheel drive Caddy) were hard to get to and #6 boot was not plugged all the way on. It proceeded to arc and destroyed the connector. Other than a slight miss getting on the freeway, the car ran fine. After I replaced the wires, it passed the emission test with flying colors.
Just my .02

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

Back