Spark Plug Problem?? What could this be? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Problem?? What could this be?

CamDJClimited

Reaction score
City, State
Southampton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Limite
So recently, I had a #7 Cylinder Misfire in my 1996 AWD V8 Explorer. I got the plugs, wires, and coil packs changed with brand new ones, and now I have a misfire on Cylinder #5. Anyone know what could have happened? I get the code P0305 and sometimes the check engine light flashes. Before the change I used to get the code P0307. And now it's just P0305. Any ideas?? Like I've said, I just had the plugs, wires, and coil packs changed. Just after they got changed the Misfire on #7 stopped and its now on #5. Any ideas??

I have no idea if it's a head gasket or not. I don't seem to be losing coolant, and I don't see any white smoke coming out of the exhaust (I don't see anything coming out of there) and I'm not leaking any oil or anything.

I will be REALLY happy to the person that helps me figure this out :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first thing I would do is make sure that the new plug wire wasn't misrouted and melted on the exhaust manifold. If that's ok, the next thing I would do is move the #5 spark plug to a different cylinder and see if the miss follows the plug to the new cylinder. Check the gap on the plug while ya got it out. If it accidentally got dropped during installation it could have closed the gap or cracked the porcelain.

The first thing I would do is make sure that the new plug wire wasn't misrouted and melted on the exhaust manifold. If that's ok, the next thing I would do is move the #5 spark plug to a different cylinder and see if the miss follows the plug to the new cylinder. Check the gap on the plug while ya got it out. If it accidentally got dropped during installation it could have closed the gap or cracked the porcelain.

Tried that too. I actually tried 2 new spark plugs and 1 new wire on that cylinder and its still the same problem

Someone said it could be a head gasket problem, but if you look at the spark plug diagram, cylinders 5 and 7 aren't next to eachother. 6 is between them. And why would the #7 misfire go away. SO Confused :\ but I need this fixed asap! :(

Check compression in the cylinders?

Check compression in the cylinders?

About to have that checked soon.

I love your vids btw! I just watched the one on the Fuel Filter change - about to do that tomorrow. My explorer has 160,000 miles on it and still has the original fuel filter. Do you think that could be a cause?

Its the fuel injectors

Have you checked for spark at that wire? Ive seen new coils and spark plug wires that are bad oiut of the box, not common but it happens. If spark checks out try swapping the fuel injector to another cylinder. You can use a noid light to chech for signal to the fuel injector. If spark and fuel check out its time to check compression.

A detected misfire doesn't have to mean spark...

It could be fuel delivery... When was the last time the fuel filter was changed and what is the fuel pump pressure?

Since you have done the plugs, checked wires, and pretty ruled out ignition i would start looking at the fuel system...What I have seen in the past when the code changes to a different spot a system that affects that system was causing the problem...In more than one case the fuel filter was plugged up with rust and dirt and fuel volume/pressure were being reduced and causing the misfire...

Idea!

Hey guys, So I have one more thought. I just realized...I started having the misfire a day after I had used my Jet Programmer. Everytime I try and use it now, all I get is error messages. Is it possible that the programmer messed something up? I tuned it back to stock the last time i used it *and it worked*, but now when I plug it in for any kind of programming, all I get is an "error 36" code. And by the way, my ABS light comes on when it wants to. Especially when the car's all warmed up it comes on right away. With cold starts, it takes a while. Any ideas?

Hey guys, So I have one more thought. I just realized...I started having the misfire a day after I had used my Jet Programmer. Everytime I try and use it now, all I get is error messages. Is it possible that the programmer messed something up? I tuned it back to stock the last time i used it *and it worked*, but now when I plug it in for any kind of programming, all I get is an "error 36" code. And by the way, my ABS light comes on when it wants to. Especially when the car's all warmed up it comes on right away. With cold starts, it takes a while. Any ideas?

AND Also the code P1000 has been on ever since too.

Can you put back to a stock tune? Might be something to try and rule out.

Back