• Register Today It's free!

spark plug wire boot

jared ajlouny

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4
i was looking at how hard its gunna be to change my spark plugs, well it actually looks allot more easy than i thought. one problem tho, how the heck do u get the spark plug wire boot off of the spark plug, i was pulling with all my weight and it didnt budge, is there a clip that holds it on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There aren't any clips just gotta yank on it. Try spinning it around a little that might help to loosen it up.

i was yanking with all my strength and i couldnt budge it!, idk maybe im not stropng enough :rolleyes:

Well if its that hard to get off you are going to have to cut it and replace it. Might as well do them all then.

Twisting while pulling sometimes works. I have had to use channel locks to twist/turn the boot on the plug to break the seal. When the boot can turn it'll pull off.
Might as well replace the wires, one at a time, while your at it. AutoZone or NAPA have good wire sets w/lifetime guarantees & the Motorcraft double platinum plugs.

do i really need to replace wires to?

If they are originals, deffenitly. If they arnt orig., probably. As hard as they are comming off it would be easy to damage them and wires are only $20 or so. So why not?

is it 20 bucks for all the wires??? if it is i will change them all, and the spark plugs, it says that it was taken to ford at 60k miles and did all the recomended service,w hat serivce is suppose to be done a t 100?

Its either 80k or 100k a full tuneup (change plugs/wires) is supposed to be done. They are probably the original wires and it would be very wise of you to change them. In your year/engine it isnt hard to do. Wires will run you a little more than $20 just remember you get what you pay for.

so are you saying spending a little over 20 bucks for all the wires is too cheap or about right?

oh yea, and isnt it better to get the original kind of spark plugs??? dont the good ones break in the engine or something?

Wires can run from anywhere from $20-$100, I usually just pick something in the middle. Don't really care about brand names, just a decent 8mm set will work fine.

I changed plugs/wires on a '94 on Friday, and had a harder time getting the boots off than I did getting the plugs off and on. I could get my hands on all of them (2 and 3 through the cutout in the fenderwell), but with the limited space, I couldn't get enough leverage to pull those *******s off. I probably had over 1/2 hour just in pulling the boots off of 2,3, and 6, it didn't help that the engine was still hot either.:)

This was going to be a quickie job, so I wasn't going to replace the wires, but I tore the boot on 2 in half, and ripped the boot on 3, so had to go get wires anyway. So, I would count on going ahead and replacing them before you get started.

I had the same problem Robb did, the #6 wire was stuck on there pretty good. I yanked on that ******* for about 20 minutes and it finally ripped apart.

Since you are replacing the plugs, replace the wires too. This job is a major pain in the ass, so just get it over with and replace everything now.

ok, i still havent changed the differential fluid that i was gunan do becasue i cant find the right fluid, oh well....i jsut have to find time to do this

Back