• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wire help

dmc80

Reaction score
City, State
chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt ohv
It seems the ohv has a design flaw so that my middle spark plug wire on the driver side always hits the metal egr tubing causing it to melt the wire. Is there something i can wrap around the wire to protect it? I have had to change it three times. I found some sleeves online but $35 for 4 is ridiculous.
Any help with what i can cover the wire with is great.

It seems the ohv has a design flaw so that my middle spark plug wire on the driver side always hits the metal egr tubing causing it to melt the wire. Is there something i can wrap around the wire to protect it? I have had to change it three times. I found some sleeves online but $35 for 4 is ridiculous.
Any help with what i can cover the wire with is great.

I don't recall the layout but can you get a wire loom clip to hold it to another wire or something solid? Maybe even a long wiretie?

The boot is long enough to hit the egr tubing which is fine because its thick enough to handle the heat. But after a few months of driving around it jars loose and the the boot moves forcing the wire to take all the heat.

Attachments

• burnt plug wire.JPG
    burnt plug wire.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 351

High temp sleeving

I bought some high temperature sleeving (for another reason) at Advance Auto. It wasn't cheap but not as expensive as what you mentioned. The problem would be getting part of it to slip over either end. You might be able to cut off a section and wrap it around the plug wire and then fasten in place with bailing wire.

Back