Spark plug wires causing radio static? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug wires causing radio static?

Diddy74

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Well lets just get to the point I changed my plugs and wires a few weeks ago with Bosch Platniums and Premium wires....everything running smooth fars as I can tell with the exception of noticable static in the radio, especially A.M stations while the truck is running. I double checked the wires are routed properly thru the guides and nothing seems to be grounded. I have read somewhere that sometimes EMI will leak thru some wires causing problems with the ECM. Could it be the coil pack, I did post a few months back that while cleaning the engine off I brushed over the coil pack and was shockedI didnt have the static issues ubtil after I changed the wires. Anyone experience this or know what I can do short of replacing the whole wire set or coil pack?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to try different wires, see if they will trade you for something else. That interference is one sign of worn out plug wires. That wouldn't be good if they did that when new. Good luck,

Check this out, maybe it will help...

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Read "The Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors"

I just got a set of Magnecore wires, I haven't put them on yet but they're one of the best wires out there BUT at a price. If you don't want to pay that much for the Magnecores look into getting a set of Taylor or Jacobs ignition wires, also very good.

Check this out, maybe it will help...

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Read "The Truth About Ignition Wire Conductors"

I just got a set of Magnecore wires, I haven't put them on yet but they're one of the best wires out there BUT at a price. If you don't want to pay that much for the Magnecores look into getting a set of Taylor or Jacobs ignition wires, also very good.

Thanks all for the replies..I think that was the site or another one describing the issues with spark plug wire issues and EMI leakage...I will see if another set will fix the issue. I would think the "premium" wires wouldnt have these problems but we shall see..No problems as far as drivablilty issues has arisen, but it is kinda annoying interferance on the radio. I occasionaly listen to the A.M stations for news weather and traffic and today the Yankee Met game(GO YANKS!!!!):D was almost unbearable with all the interferance:confused:

I understand, long ago I learned to frown upon the idea of "premium" items at local parts stores. The real trick to cars is learning what stuff is important to buy from the manufacturer, aftermarket sources, or any local parts store. Plug wires I wouldn't buy from a local store they are good for going cheap on a car to sell, they don't last much more than a year. Good luck,

On the 91s (and I assume later models), there should be a capacitor (condensor) wired to the coil pack that is supposed to shunt the RF to ground.

Perhaps this is broken/missing and the wire is what you brushed up against.

Back