Spark Plug Wires & Plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Wires & Plugs

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
So I'm looking to replace the spark plug wires and spark plugs on my '98 SOHC. Are there any recommendations for quality plug wires that won't break the bank? What should I look for when ordering plug wires?

Also... how are those E3 style plugs compared to the conventional spark plugs? Are they really that much better?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a controversial subject with numerous opinions. You could stick with Motorcraft or Autolite plugs if you want to keep it stock. There are so many options like copper, platinum, iridium, etc to choose from.

So I'm looking to replace the spark plug wires and spark plugs on my '98 SOHC. Are there any recommendations for quality plug wires that won't break the bank? What should I look for when ordering plug wires?

Also... how are those E3 style plugs compared to the conventional spark plugs? Are they really that much better?

Thanks.
Motorcraft plugs and wires are the best choice, Autolite second best. Rockauto has good prices on wires, and you can find 5% discounts on the web, also autozone sells M/C plugs. This is the consensus on most Ford and Lincoln sites. Fancy plugs don't seem to work well in these cars, but you are welcome to try and report back!

I agree on Motorcraft and best way to get to the plugs is thru the wheel wells. Don't forget to put anti-seize on the new plugs.

I agree with the Motorcraft. I put in Autolites plugs about a year ago, they are not bad but I think they are the cause of my "vibrating" idle. Its not enough of a problem for me to change them out.
Also stick with Motorcraft wires.

The guys are right, fancy plugs doesn't work on these engine. Learned the hard way.

... and dielectric grease on the boots as well.

What is dielectric grease?

And did you notice any increase in performance or mpg?

Just went through a rough winter and wanting to change my plugs and oil.

Awesome thanks!

That guy should pull up his sleeves though lol.

Gotta get me a tube of that grease...

What is dielectric grease?

And did you notice any increase in performance or mpg?

Just went through a rough winter and wanting to change my plugs and oil.

If your plug wires are pretty old, they will degrade performance over time. Not much but some. When you replace the wires and plugs, performance will increase back to normal, but they will not increase performance past what you originally had to begin with. Any increase in resistance from the coil pack to the spark plug will decrease performance, by decreasing the amount of spark. Having plug wires with the least amount of resistance is good.

I agree with the Motorcraft. I put in Autolites plugs about a year ago, they are not bad but I think they are the cause of my "vibrating" idle. Its not enough of a problem for me to change them out.
Also stick with Motorcraft wires.

eh...was just researching this to replace plugs in my '98 5.0 but....doesn't m/c = autolite?

FYI Autolite and Motocraft plugs are the same plugs

For me, on a bone-stock 98 SOHC, Motorcrafts were good enough for the first 100,000 miles. So far, they're good for the first 70,000 miles of the second 100k. If it lasts that long, I'll be installing them for the third 100,000 miles. I doubt I'll need a 4th set... :(

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So happeneds I noticed this thread about the E3 plugs. Well I installed them with the JBA Wires. Motor seemed to run awesome* after they were installed.

Strange stuff started to happen as I was driving to break things in. The motor was getting hotter than usual and seemed to have the "virbrating Idle" during stop lights. Plus the Check Engine light was flashing under load (up hills). Not sure what that was all about but I'm going tink with it some more.

I think the E3 Plugs run to hot for the 5.0L or something.

I've owned a 92' 4WD V6 OHV and installed motorcraft plugs. Ran like a champ.

How are Bosch +4 Platinums?

Back